RT list: Frazier

From: Anne Bezuidenhout (AnneBez@gwm.sc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 17:38:45 GMT

    Dear All,

    I have an example of just the opposite sort to the one Francisco Yus
    pointed us to in the Frazier sitcom. It is a (real world) example in
    which someone understood an instruction as requiring the performance of
    a sequence of actions when in fact it required the simultaneous
    performance of those actions.

    Every semester I give my students an orientation session in which I
    explain to them how to log onto and off of the computers in our logic
    lab and explain to them some basics about the logic software that they
    will have to use. Even as recently as the mid-1990s, I had some students
    who had had no previous experience with computers.

    One young woman was having difficulty logging off her machine. I had
    told students to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and then to select the option to log
    off and sign on as new user. This woman was pressing Ctrl, then Alt and
    then Del, releasing each key before pressing the next, instead of
    pressing them down simultaneously (or holding them all down
    simultaneously). I bet there were a lot of people who had the same
    problem, but that they were able to solve the problem for themselves by
    experimenting with various different options.

    I also think that if we are dealing with written instructions, an
    instruction to twist-and-pull would be interpreted differently from an
    instruction to twist and pull.

    Regards, Anne.

    Anne Bezuidenhout
    Department of Philosophy