RT list: Frasier

From: Francisco Yus (F.YUS@mail.ono.es)
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 17:47:42 GMT

    Dear all,

    I wish you all a truly happy 2004.

    Some days ago I was watching the TV sitcom Frasier and suddenly I discovered a dialogue which will no doubt interest RT analysts, especially those who do research on the explicit/implicit distinction as applied to the connector "and". I am quoting it below. It would be nice if somebody replied with comments on this dialogue and whether the misunderstanding is likely to happen "in the real world" outside a TV series.

    Cordially,

    Francisco Yus

    SITCOM: FRASIER
    Episode title: Motor Skills
    Written by Sam Johnson & Chris Marcil
    Directed by Pamela Fryman
    Season 8, Episode 11.
    Original Airdate on NBC: 30th January 2001
    Introduction: Frasier and his brother Niles (both are psychiatrists) have joined a course on "car motor skills". They are now in the middle of a practical lesson, delivered by the teacher Randy, on how to loosen a spark-plug. Niles is having some trouble.

    Niles wrests it away and tries to loosen a spark-plug.
    Niles: I'm telling you, I'm telling you, they are too tight!
    Frasier: Here, I'll just try to loosen it up. He starts hammering a plug with the wrench.
    Randy: Whoa, whoa! Remember, uh, spark plugs come out with a simple twist-and-pull. Twist-and-pull. Give it a try. Frasier does, pulling hard. Something snaps.
    Randy: OK, uh, that's called stripping it.
    Niles: Good job, Frasier! Here, let me strip one.
    Randy: No, no, stripping it means breaking it. Uh, watch me. He takes the wrench and easily pops out a spark plug.
    Frasier: So you... twist, and then! pull. You see, I was twisting and pulling simultaneously, as per your instructions: "twist-and-pull."
    Niles: In the future, the phrase "twist, then pull" might help.
    Randy: Look fellas, maybe that's enough for one night. But, uh, why don't you come in a little early next week and I'll try to get you caught up with everyone else. I've got a feeling you guys are gonna be my special project.