RT list: Hi

From: Ler Soon Lay Vivien (artp0230@nus.edu.sg)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 10:11:18 GMT

    Dear All,

    Hi! I'm very glad to be on the list and to be in contact with people who are using relevance theory. I'm working on an in-depth study of discourse particles in Singapore Colloquial English (e.g.,' lah', 'meh', 'lor', loans from Southern Chinese?) for my Ph.D. So far researchers have concentrated mainly on the various functions of the particles. E.g., Come with us 'lah'. (persuasion).

    With relevance theory, it is possible to come up with a unitary account of the particles. Furthermore, I find it instructive to deal with ill-formed constructions with particle-appended utterances.

    Cheers,

    Vivien