questions

From: Mai Zaki (maizaki@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 23:30:16 GMT

    Dear All,

    As a beginner in Relevance Theory, reading Wilson's and Sperber's book
    "Relevance: Communication and Cogntion" (1986) for the first time is
    illuminating, yet soemtimes confusing. I am currently working on the English
    modal verbs in a corpus of political speeches and press conferences. So I am
    constantly trying to find links between the theory and application. Here is
    a question for the experts.

    As I have read, it seems that the book is intrinsically interested in two
    notions that do not entirely fit my investigation. These are: reciprocal
    communication and spontaneous inference. Non-reciprocal communication in a
    situation where the speaker assumes authority (my work exactly) is only
    particularly mentioned (Ch. 1 p. 63) as being automatically mutually
    manifest. Then it is argued (Ch. 2 p. 75) that when a representation is
    stored in the mind by being embedded under an expression of attitude (the
    case of the modals) it is often processed in a self-conscious,
    non-spontaneous way which apparently is not the focus of the book since it
    represents a minority. So my question is: how do these two facts bear on a
    study of the modals in a corpus of non-reciprocal communication? Are the
    rules for non-spontaneous inference much different than those of spontaneous
    inference? How different? Also, how is the process of utterance
    interpretation in a non-reciprocal communication different from the case in
    normal reciprocal communication from the viewpoint of relevance theory?

    Finally, I would like a hint as to the best reference to consult for looking
    up cognitive science terms, such as deduction, induction, etc. If anyone
    knows of an online source please let me know.

    I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

    Thanks to you all.

    Mai

    Mai Zaki
    B.A. English Langauge and Literature
    English Department, Faculty of Languages
    Ain Shams University
    Cairo, Egypt