From Lesley Fast, Introduction

From: Lesley and Marianne Fast (l-m.fast@sil.org.pg)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 03:22:22 GMT

    I am a member of SIL International and currently work in Papua New Guinea as translation teacher and advisor. I have an M.A. in NT Studies from McGill, Montréal.

    I became aware of RT initially by way of the studies done by Ernst-August Gutt related to Bible translation. These pointed me to the work of Sperber and Wilson and others.

    In my own research in NT studies I have worked within the framework of classical rhetorical theory, focussing on the speeches of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark, especially persuasion by appeal to feeling and emotion. The notion of mentioning others' utterances is of interest to me both in the speech activity of translating as well as in my work on the markan Jesus' speeches. In the latter case scholarship has been interested mainly in how quotations (in the NT, on Jesus' lips) function as part of a logical/argumentational rhetoric.

    Lesley D. Fast
    Box 451 Ukarumpa E.H.P. 444
    Papua New Guinea