Alliteration

From: Stefan Malmberg (stefan.malmberg@aland.net)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 06:05:13 GMT

    Dear all,

    While reading Jutta Muschard's useful and enlightening 1996 Masters thesis for
    the University of Hannover (Relevant Translations:History, Presentation, Criticism,
    Application-Peter Lang European University Studies) I came across an interesting
    section on alliteration. She asks the following questions (1996:193):

    >- is alliteration to be considered a subcategory of repetition, which triggers an
    increase in contextual effects (Sperber/Wilson 1986:220) such as 'leitmotif'efffect'
    and thus is a matter of relevance ,or

    > -is it be considered as a hint that the alliterating terms belong together and
    represent an entity thus reducing processing efforts,

    >-or is it simply a matter of stylistics which has to be regarded as communicative
    clue to be preserved by means of another stylistic feature?

        She regards itas a shortcoming that the 'notion of communicative clue has not
    yet been fully developed'.

    Does anyone have any views on the matter?

    Cheers Stefan

    Måsvägen 8A2
    22100 Mariehamn
    Åland