Re: Questions on Relevance

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 00:39:42 GMT

    M. J. Murphy writes:

    >What are the main points of distinction
    >between RT and the Gricean paradigm?
    >[RT] assumes that it is
    >the *enriched proposition* [emphasis mine. JLS]
    >(logical kernel + pragmatics)
    >that should be judged for truth value.
    >Can a non-arbitrary pragmatics/semantics
    >boundary be maintained? I doubt that it can,
    >and have been arguing as much with
    >Speranza for years.

    Murphy doubts that it can, I doubt that it can't. Etc. And the debate
    ensues...

    Anyway, I would like to share a point or two about Murphy's reference above
    to 'the enriched proposition'.

    Indeed, _semantic_ enrichment (for this is what it is, is it) is one of the
    three elements (at least in Wilson/Sperber, 'On Grice's Theory of
    Conversation') that make up, for RT -- _contra_ 'the Gricean programme (or,
    as I prefer, channel) -- for the content of the "explicature" (the other
    two are reference-assignment and disambiguation).

    One way to characterise the idea of 'enrichment' (thus listed in index to
    Sperber/Wilson's _Relevance_) is perhaps to contrast is with what I call

         "impoverishment"

    which is what some logicians have been doing since at least _Principia_
    (cf. Grice's remarks on Quine in 'Reply to Richards', PGRICE, -- R.
    Grandy/R. Warner, Philosophical Grounds of Rationality: Intentions,
    Categories, Ends, p.68) and Strawson's review of Quine, 'A Logician's
    Landscape' in _Philosophy_).

    Consider the grammatical category of _number_. I suggest that the way the
    category of number is encoded in a natural language such as English
    illustrates this idea of impoverishment.

    Let me explain. It is a commonplace in logic (see Grice, WOW -- Studies in
    the Way of Words -- p. 22) that the existential quantifier "(Ex)" is
    _number_indifferent. Grice provides 'some' as its natural-language
    counterpart, and even neo-Traditionalists (as Grice calls them) like
    Warnock and Strawson have conceded that the 'singular-plural' distinction
    is perhaps merely "implicatural" ("implicaturish"):

       "If there is, say, a green book on my table,
       then it is at any rate _true_, for what it
       is worth, even, perhaps, by stretching matters
       a little, that some books are green."
            G. J. Warnock, 'Metaphysics in Logic'
            in A. Flew, _Essays in Conceptual Analysis_, p. 91.

        "To say that some tigers are [not] fierce
        would normally be taken to imply that there
        was more than one tiger which was [not]
        fierce."
             P. F. Strawson, _Introduction to Logical
             Theory_, p. 166.

    So, the question is -- should the 'singular-plural' distinction pertain to
    the 'implicature' or it is part of the 'explicature' (of "(Ex)"? And so on.

    One guesses that, for any argument on the part of the 'enricher', there
    will be a counter-argument on the part of the 'impoverisher' to keep the
    _modernist_ apparatus (as Grice calls it) as it stands...

    (I am speaking vaguely but I hope not wholly unintelligibly).

    Cheers,

    JL

    ==
                            J L Speranza, Esq