Questions on Relevance

From: mjmurphy (4mjmu@rogers.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 21:56:11 GMT

    A couple of questions on Relevance Theory.

    1) What are the main points of distinction between RT and the Gricean
    paradigm? If I were to guess, based on the slim reading I've done, I would
    say:

    a) It assumes that it is the enriched proposition (logical kernal +
    pragmatics) that should be judged for truth value. This rectifies the
    counterintuitive Gricean consequence that many if not most of our utterances
    are strictly false.

    b) appealing to notions like that of "expliciture", it claims that the
    logical kernal of many utterances cannot be assigned a truth value until
    various appeals to context have been made.

    Is this even close?

    2) Can a non-arbitrary pragmatics/semantics boundary be maintained? I
    doubt that it can, and have been arguing as much with Speranza for years.
    One of the"laws" that seems to get appealed to in the literature goes
    something as follows: "Implicate as much as possible!" (I believe Levinson
    puts it this way). In other words, natural language use leans heavily upon
    inferences from linguistic meaning, rather than an explicit statement
    (linguistic meaning) of each element the *speaker* meant. But to me this seems
    entirely a matter of "energy conservation". Were we able to emit and absorb
    communications at a much greater speed, there would be no need for this
    rule. We could, by means of various notational devices., indicate
    *explicitly* that a particular use of a definete description (to use my
    favorite example) was referential rather than attributive-- "The King of
    France (R)", perhaps. In this language what is now pragmatics would simply
    get written out as part of the sense of the sentence. So a sentence like
    1):

    1) The King of France is not bald.

    which can be uttered with the pragmatic implication that there exists a King
    of France in place or not, becomes two sentences. Something like:

    1a) The King of France is not bald, and there is a King of France.
    or
    1b) The King of France is not bald, because there is no King of France..

    Semantics plus pragmatics becomes all semantics in a language where "energy
    conservation" is not an issue. In 1) the same sense plus different
    pragmatics becomes two different senses in 1a) and 1b) . Hence the pragmatics/semantics
    boundary is arbitrary.

    Cheers,

    M.J.Murphy

    The shapes of things are dumb.