From Relation to Relevance

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 00:07:44 GMT

    -- and back?
    Circularity, unfalsifiability, vacuity -- & oher animals.

       "Only connect".
             E M Forster.

    Grice institutes the maxim 'be relevant' under the category of Relation --
    a nod to Kant. Is there more than an alliterative reference in this?

    Is there a conceptual link between 'relation' and 'relevance'? Grandy seems
    to suggest so when he writes that Grice was indeed "[...] concerned with
    making the maxims isomorphic to the Kantian categories" (Grandy in Hall, p.
    407 -- and cfr. R. Eckhardt).

    S. Nicolle writes in "RT and other theories":

    >I have seen

    [somewhere. :) JLS]

    >a few neat analyses where the interplay
    >of the Q-, I-, and M-principles seems to make specific
    >predictions which a RT analysis would not be able to make
    >(as far as I can see). This is the kind of level of
    >falsifiability that critics of RT have been looking for.

    In a later note, Nicolle refers to references in a post of mine -- where I
    allude inter alia to Kiefer et al on charges of 'vacuity' and 'circularity'
    -- but not 'lack of specificity' or ad-hocness? -- made to Gricean (good
    old, neo-, & post-) explanation.

    Nicolle does mentions 'falsifiability' (pet topic for a Popperian --
    recently discussed on the LINGUIST list) and I'm sure we can distinguish
    between a charge of 'unfalsifiability' from a charge of 'not specific enough'.

    What I expand below is on the glory of being Kantianly unspecific as it
    _may_ relate on some charge of 'circularity' which may it turn relate to
    some charge of 'unfalsifiability'.

    The idea would be: is an appeal to 'relevance' (co-ordinate as in the
    standard Gricean approach -- WOW, p. 371 (note * below) or _ultimate_ as
    per RT) in any way similar to an appeal to 'relation'?

    Recall Davidson's take on metaphor. For Davidson, a metaphor contrasts
    notably with a simile in that the former tends to be standardly
    categorially _false_ while a simile, poor thing, cannot help from being
    _true_ (since "everything is like everything else"). Similarly, everything
    is _related_ to everything else, or is it?

    When Grice places 'be relevant' under Relation he is suggesting that (for
    an utterer) "to be relevant" is a way of the utterer _relating_ things --
    in something like Forster's "only-connect".

    But what was Kant's take on this? Consider his remarks on what he calls the
    pure schematism:

       http://www.malaspina.com/etext/pure07.htm
       "The schema of relation contains and represents
       the relation of perceptions to each other
       in _all_ time (that is, according to a rule of
       the determination of time).

    For Kant, 'Relation' incorporates some basic ideas of human understanding:
    notably three: substance/accident; cause/effect, and agent/patient.

    As in
    http://www.wesleyan.edu/phil/courses/202/s00/pdfs/Kant:

         RELATION
     1. Categorical
        Inherence and Substistence
        ("substance & accident")
        Eg:
        "The wicked are punished"
     2. Hypothetical
        Causality and Dependence
        ("cause & effect")
        Eg: "If there is divine justice,
        the wicked are punished"
     3. Disjunctive
        Community
        (reciprocity between "agent" and "patient")
        Eg.: "The world exists either through blind chance,
        or through inner necessity orthrough an external cause."

    ('Relation' combines in the famous Kantian quartette with:

     Quantity: 1. Universal: Unity
               Eg. "All A's are B's"
               2. Particular: Plurality
               Eg: "Some A's are B's"
               3. Singular: Totality
               Eg: "X is a B"
     Quality: 1. Affirmative: Reality.
              Eg: "A is a B"
              2. Negative: Negation
              Eg: "It is not the case that A is a B"
              3. Infinite: Limitation.
              Eg: "A is a non-B"
     Manner: 1. Problematic: Possibility/Impossibility
              Eg: "It is possible that A is a B"
              2. Assertoric: Existence/Non-existence.
              Eg: "It is the case that A is a B"
              3. Apodeictic: Necessity/Contingency.
              Eg: "It must be the case that A is a B")

    The idea would be that the items that fall under 'relation' (inherence,
    causality, reciprocity) are _all_-pervasive. And how do you go and refute
    such a "trascendentalism"?

    (How unashamed can a Kantian be?)

    JL

    Refs:
    Eckhard R. Grice's four conversational categories.
       _Manuscrito_, ed. M. Dascal.
    Grandy R. On the foundations of conversational implicature. In K. Hall
    Grice HP. 1967. Logic and Conversation.
              Studies in the Way of Words.
              1977. Immanuel Kant Memorial Lectures
              Stanford University.
    Hall K et al, _The legacy of Grice_. BLS 16
    Kant I. Critique of Pure Reason: Book II.
       Trascendental doctrine of the faculty of
       judgement or, analytic of principles.
       Chapter I: Of the schematism of the pure
       conceptions of the understanding.
       at: http://www.malaspina.com/etext/pure07.htm

    Note *. Grice writes:

    "To judge whether I have undersupplied or oversupplied with information
    seems to require that I should be aware of the identity of the topic to
    which the information in question is supposed to relate; only after the
    identification of a focus of relevance can such an assessment be made; the
    force of this consideration seems to be blunted by writers like Wilson and
    Sperber who seem to be disposed to sever the notion of relevance from the
    specification of some particular direction of relevance". (Studies in the
    way of words, p. 371). (Ref. cited by Grandy p. 407).
    ==
                            J L Speranza, Esq
    Country Town
    St Michael's Hall Suite 5/8