functionalism and formalism

From: Michael Hegarty (mhegar1@lsu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 22:54:10 GMT

    Some questions and comments regarding the following recent exchange on this
    list:

    Christoph Unger wrote:
    "If language is a tool like any other tool then it is most appropriate and
    necessary to study the structure of the tool itself and not only the
    purpose that it is used for. In other words: not studying the formal
    properties of
    language as a formal system is certainly inadequate." [End Unger quote]

    Randy LaPolla wrote:
    I don't understand this comment. No functional approach only studies the
    purpose and not the structure of the tool. The difference between a
    functional and purely formal approach is in terms of explanation. A
    functional approach attempts to explain the structures found by reference
    to their function in the activity the tool is used in. A purely formal
    approach ignores the use of the tool and studies the form in the abstract.
    The latter sort of analysis doesn't really tell you much, though. For
    example, if we try to analyze the structure of a hammer without reference
    to its use in hammering and pulling out nails, then there isn't much we can
    explain about why it's structure is the way it is. All we can say is
    "Hammer --> stick-like-part + heavy-part". Not very informative (cf. "S -->
    NP + VP"). Even using the term "handle" would bias the analysis, as the
    label derives
    from its function. Personally, I am not interested in form for form's
    sake, or "explanations" where formal structure is "explained" using formal
    structure (thereby being circular--you observe a pattern, call it a rule,
    then
    "explain" the pattern by saying it conforms to the rule). I am interested
    in understanding communication, so factoring out communication from the
    study of language doesn't appeal to me." [End LaPolla quote]

    I'd like to suggest that LaPolla, or somebody who sympathizes with his
    views, provide a more suitable analogy than the hammer. I actually think
    that the hammer example could be instructive---that a proper explanation of
    a hammer would include a specification of its constituent structure and
    form, and that this is not as trivial a task as LaPolla makes it out to be
    if we don't presuppose our prior familiarity with hammers. Nevertheless, it
    would be fair for a defender of the utility of a formalist approach to
    demand an example of explanation of an artifact whose complexity is at
    least approximately of the right order of magnitude to serve as an analogy
    to language. I'm not sure what this would be. But whenever I try to imagine
    what it would be like to provide a proper, detailed explanation of any
    reasonably complex tool or machine with many interacting parts, interacting
    in complex enough ways to be considered appropriate as an analogy to
    language, I find that some interesting things happen. First, the
    formulation of a principled functionalist/formalist distinction of the sort
    we see in linguistics seems more or less absurd; second, modularity of
    function and form seems inescapable; and third, while explanation of
    function is central to the explanatory task, the articulation of structure
    and form in their own right seems to be an essential component of that
    explanation.

    As mentioned above, I'm not sure what a suitable analogy would be. But out
    of respect for the intelligence of all the linguists I know (functionalists
    and formalists) I would be inclined to pick something quite complex indeed,
    on the assumption that if human language were simple, it would have been
    fully figured out by now. A Boeing 747 might be a good starting point. In
    order for the analogy to work, we would have to suppose that we initially
    know nothing about a 747 except vaguely that it is a machine for flying.
    Our task would be to study 747s and figure out what we can about them in an
    attempt to understand how they work. I admit that in some cases, structure
    will transparently relate in an immediate way to function, as in the layout
    of cables connecting controls and airfoils. But it seems quite clear that
    there are other domains in which structure would have to be studied at
    greater length in its own right, particularly in the investigation of the
    electronics of the instruments and the contours of the airfoils. We might
    even study the geometry and topology of the airfoils and manifolds as an
    end in itself, using complex mathematical equations and computer models,
    as, in fact, aerodynamic engineers do in designing them. The study of the
    manifolds in this way would, of course, in some ultimate sense "attempt[]
    to explain the structures found by reference to their function in the
    activity the tool is used in"; but the problem in this case is so hard that
    it demands as well some elements of "[a] purely formal approach [which]
    ignores the use of the tool and studies the form in the abstract."
    [adapting quotes from the LaPolla posting, excerpted above]

    Our theory of the 747 would presumably exhibit some degree of functional
    and structural modularity. But the most striking facet of this analogy, in
    my view, is that the whole idea of a functionalist/formalist dispute or
    divide would probably be considered absurd. Everyone would agree that our
    ultimate aim is to understand the functioning of the 747, and that
    considerations of function infuse much of our theorizing about the
    structure of the plane. But anyone with a clear appreciation of the
    difficulty of the task should admit that we also need an extensive "formal"
    theory of some facets of the plane, such as the shape of manifolds,
    mentioned above, or its instrumentation, where the level of causal
    embedding makes immediate explanations in terms of function less accessible
    or less insightful than explication in terms of the internal workings of
    the mechanisms.

    A functionalist might reply that the points made above about our
    investigation of the 747 fit fully into the functionalist view since, after
    all, "[n]o functional approach only studies the purpose and not the
    structure of the tool." [From LaPolla excerpt above.] This sounds
    reasonable enough. But LaPolla continues: "A purely formal approach ignores
    the use of the tool and studies the form in the abstract. The latter sort
    of analysis doesn't really tell you much, though." The example of the 747
    shows that, in the right context, a purely formal analysis (of some aspects
    of a system--which is all that formalists are committed to studying) can,
    in fact, tell us much. Of course, the "right contexts" just mentioned
    ultimately touch on the relationship of form to function. Likewise,
    formalists admit that the formal machinery they find in language is
    embedded in a larger system, ultimately touching on the relationship of
    form to function. The formalists never claimed to be studying more than
    certain subsystems of the language faculty.

    Some linguists would say that, by confining ourselves to examples involving
    artifacts, we concede too much to the functionalist. Some linguists, after
    all, think that human language is a complex natural system, not a complex
    artifact. What would be a suitable analogy in the domain of complex natural
    systems? Several candidates come to mind, some of which have been pursued
    in the literature: the structure and function of the blood, the structure
    and function of the immune system, etc. I find a more intriguing analogy to
    be the structure and function of the human genome. One virtue of this
    analogy is that we are barely on the verge of knowing the answers, so we
    won't commit the fallacy of underestimating the subtlety and complexity of
    the system. In any event, formal tools, including tools of formal grammar,
    interestingly enough, have already proven themselves to be useful in the
    theory of the structure and function of genomic sequences.

    Michael Hegarty
    Department of English and Program in Linguistics
    Louisiana State University
    Baton Rouge, LA 70803
    mhegar1@lsu.edu