PS: autonomous syntax

From: Dick Hudson (dick@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 13:42:20 GMT

    Dear Relevance List,
    Sorry - I missed one: Generative Autonomy. This is the claim that
    (autonomous) syntactic structures are generated by an autonomous grammar -
    i.e. by one which is separate in some important respects from the rest of
    cognition, i.e. a module. That's probably the meaning that Steve had in
    mind because it separates cognitive linguists (not just those who do
    Langacker's Cognitive Grammar) and functionalists from at least mainstream
    generative linguists (i.e. GB/MP). I don't really see what it has to do
    with relevance theory as such, but I know it's historically linked to RT.
            Dick

    Richard (= Dick) Hudson

    Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London,
    Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT.
    +44(0)20 7679 3152; fax +44(0)20 7383 4108;
    http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm