Philosophy & RT: biblio refs on implicature in Levinson -- any philosopher missing?

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 11:44:54 GMT

    Yes! I. I is missing -- Speranza, J. L. Grice, Conversational Implicature
    and Life., etc. - JL Speranza is the Chair of The Grice Circle. ===
    In what follows I will list the refs in Levinson's Presumptive Meanings:
    The Theory of Generalised Conversational Implicature (MIT Lang Speech and
    Comm) which sound to me philosophical. Grice being a PHILOSOPHER, you see.

    It is up to RT members to add RT-specific references...

    ARUNDALE R. Studies in the way of words. Grice's new directions in
    conceptualising meaning in conversational interaction. Mimeo. Department of
    Communication. University of Alaska, Fairbanks. Paper presented at the
    International Communication Association, Chicago. Levinson notes that this
    is the only paper he knows of a sort of historiographical study of Grice's
    different publications and unpublications.

    ATLAS, J. D. Many works. Basically his new book with OUP, Conversational
    Implicature. actually called Conversation, but Levinson misquotes it thus.
                 The implications of conversation.
                 Leuven Lectures.
    (Atlas was formerly of Wolfson College, Oxford).
    AVRAMIDES, A. meaning and mind: an examination of a Gricean account of
    language. MIT Press.
    (Avramides is of Queen's, Oxford.)
    BACH K. Conversational impliciture. Mind and Lang. vol. 9
    COHEN L J Some remarks on Grice's views about the logical particles of
    natural language. In Y Bar-Hillel, Pragmatics of Natural Language. Reidel.
    (It's very SAD that this is quoted by Gazdar, Levinson 1983, and Levinson
    2000) as merely "The logical particles of natural language"!!!!)
    Cohen is of Queen's, Oxford. Born London.
    DAVIS, W. Implicature. Cambridge Studies in Philosophy (Not quoted by
    Levinson, but I thought I would!)
    DULANY, D Conversational implicature, conscious representation & the
    conjunction fallacy. Social Cognition. 9
    (Not that he is a philosopher, but I liked the collocation of
    _conversational implicature_. In this day & age to see it complete is quite
    rare!)
    FOGELIN, R. Evidence & meaning. Atlantic Higlands, NJ: Humanities Press
    (An obscure book. Since I know little about American philosophy -- all I
    know is Oxford -- I always found this American philosopher fascinating.
    Horn has demonstrated, in K. Hall, _Legacy of Grice_, that Fogelin never
    knew about Grice. Since, Fogelin has now reviewed Grice's _Studies_, we can
    now perhaps say that he (Fogelin) _has heard_ of Grice).
    Frederking, A. Grice's maxims: Do the right thing. Paper delivered at the
    AAI Symposium on COMPUTATIONAL IMPLICATURE, Stanford.
    Not that I think Frederking will solve the world's problems for the
    philosopher, but I think that any occurrence of "Grice" and/or
    "implicature" is worth being pointed out
    FRETHEIM, T The effect of intonation on a type of scalar implicature.
    JPragm 18.
    I guess I should stop indexing occurrences of _scalar implicature_ by
    non-philosophers, or I'll never end, but well, Fretheim is special since he
    contributed to the _The Legacy of Grice_...
    Gazdar, G Implicature. Academic Press.
    he is no philosopher, but he's a good linguist! and I _have_ to index at
    least _books_ featuring Implicature.
    Gordon D & Lakoff G N Conversational postulates. CLS 7.
    Odd. Levinson does not note that this was repr. in Cole/Morgan! Anyway,
    wonder who this Gordon is. We all know about Lakoff! I mean, it seems D
    Gordon did not publish much after.
    Lakoff turned the Gricean programme into his own elaborations on figurative
    language, on the other hand.
    GRANDY & WARNER, PGRICE.
    Levinson fails to quote the complete title of this festschrift!
    Philosophical Grounds of Rationality: Intentions, Categories, Ends.
    This was reviewed by J. F. Bennett for the Times LS, and _he_ said that
    Grice merited a better festschrift!
    ===
    Green G. Some remarks on why there is implicature. Studies in the
    Linguistic Sciences 17
    No philosopher her (she?), but she contributed to K Hall, Legacy of Grice,
    so that's important!
    == Levinson quotes another paper by Green as Green and Carberry. Shouldn't
    that be CARBERRY and Green. Anyway, I'm quoting it, like Levinson does,
    under G.
    GREEN & CANBERRY, S. A discourse-plan based approach to a class of
    PARTICULARISED conversational implicature. ESCOL 93
    (What's ESCOL? I love this ref. to PCI, since Levinson, unwillingly, has
    convinced me that PCI is all philosophers (like Grice and I) need trouble
    with! -- and leaning my renewed sympathies towards RT!
    ==
    The refs to Grice by Levinson are hardly complete!
    Grice H P Meaning.
    Levinson fails to say this is repr. in Studies
    Also, Levinson quotes Studies as being by "P. Grice". while all other work
    is by "H. P. Grice". Most confusing! Levinson could have been the
    conservative author he is and ascribe Studies to "H.P." too. That's what
    _I_ do! Grice only started to call himself "Paul" when he noticed that
    everybody in USA who was using initials was thought to be a character of
    "Dallas". (In the England of _his_ day, it was almost FORBIDDEN to refer to
    people as "Paul", etc!
    GUNDEL, J et al, Givenness, implicature, & demonstrative reference. CLS 25
    (No philosopher, but perhaps an interesting view on Kaplan's problems!)
    HARMAN G Principles of reasoning. MIT
    I guess Levinson should have quoted Grice, 2001, Aspect of Reason, ed. R.
    Warner, but then it wasn't published in 2000...
    Harnish R Logical form & implicature. In S Davis, Pragmatics: a reader,
    Oxford.
    (I can't recall if Harnish teaches ling or phil! Does anybody? If both, he
    seems to be one of those Griceans who teach both, like CHOMSKY ("prof of
    ling & phil", MIT), Atlas (prof of ling & phil, Pomona), & K. Bach
    (ling/phil, SFSU)...
    HAWKINS, J On indefinite articles: implicatures & ungrammaticality
    predication. JLing 27
    (is he English? Levinson notes that while Sperber and Wilson (Relev, second
    edn) are careful about PhDs on RT, the same cannot be said of other Gricean
    approaches... So we must congratulate Levinson on his bibliographical work
    in tracing work on implicature along the years...)
    HIRSCHBERG, J. A theory of scalar implicature. Garland.
    HOBBS, J. Implicature & definite reference. Stanford SCLI Report 87-99
    (Not a philosopher, but implicature featured).
    HOLDCROFT, D. Conversational relevance. In Vershcueren & Bertucelli
    How good of Levinson to quote this! A classic of R on nonRT! Holdcroft,
    tho' non Oxonian, has _lectured_ at Oxford! (He taught at Leeds).
    HORN, L.R.
    No philosopher, but since he is so excellent, I do not tire myself of
    quoting him!
    Horn, LR Protoconversational rules, Greek Grice.
    Horn LR Remarks on NegRaising
    Was HE the one who coined this this?
    Horn, LR Why Gricean inference is Gricean? In K. Hall, _Legacy of Grice_.
    Must say I find Horn's phrase tautologous. Of course Gricean inference IS
    Gricean!
    Horn, LR Pragmatics, implicature, & presupposition. In W Bright, OUP.
    Horn LR Presupposition & implicature. In Lappin
    Horn & Bayer, S. Why not Bayer and Horn!?
       Short circuit implicature: Ling & Phil. 7 repr in Kasher.
    Sorry, since SW Blackburn wrote in the philosophical journal _Mind_ that
    there's no need to mention page references when the volume is specified, I
    follow suit!
    Huang, Y A neogricean theory of anaphora. JLIng 27
    I shouldn't list this, because it AGES Grice so! What's this practice of
    calling people neo-Gricean!?
    Jackson S Conversational implicature & children's comprehension of
    reference. Comm Monographs 48
    Not that Sally is a philosopher! But she is very good! (even as
    philosophical).
    Jackson S & Jacobs S, Ambiguity & implicature in children's discourse
    interpretation. JChildLang 9
    Kant E Critique.
    Levinson quotes this as E. Kant, but I would have tho't it's "I." Kant.
    Immanuel. Grice has a paper on Immanuel as the "Manual" (play on words).
    Myself, I called Grice's decalogue (the nine maxims of 1975 plus the one
    extra maxim of 1981) the Conversational Immanuel.
    I liked Levinson's ref. to Grice as irreverent and the idea that one should
    not revere Grice's framework so much based as it was on a JOKE on Kant.
    Kasher, A. Implicature. Routledge, ed. Reviewed in LINGUIST and Relevance
    List.
    KEENAN, Universality of conversational postulates. In KASHER
    Wasn't this also called universality of conversational implicature?
    Shouldn't E. be referred to as E. Ochs?
    KENNY A J P. Practical inference. Analysis 26
    (One of the great contributions of Levinson and Atlas to philosophy was to
    rediscover this essay by KENNY KENNY himself had forgotten all about! Kenny
    is of Balliol, Oxford).
    KOENIG E Conventionalising conversational implicature. In Huellen
    Unfortunately Levinson uses the umlaut, but I can't! This is all v.
    relevant to Levinson's point about PCI becoming GCI.
    LEECH G N Principles of pragmatics
    No philosopher he, but Taylor (_Analyising conversation_, Oxford: Pergamon)
    says that Leech is the Greatest English Gricean (after Grice, one presumes!)
    Prince E & Levin N Gapping & causal implicature. Papers in Ling 19
    Levinson, Conversational inference. In Kasher.
    MATSUMOTO, Y The conversational condition of Horn scales. Ling & Phil 18
    Mccafferty, A Implicature. PhD Pittsburgh
    (he is a student of Thomason, the literary executor of that great
    philosopher so badly assassinated, R. Montague).
    Mccawley, J D conversational implicature & the lexicon. In Cole
    MITCHELL B OE Syntax.
    I quote this because I intend to analyse in more detail, as a hobby, what
    Levinson says about OE!
    NEALE S Grice & the philosophy of language. Ling & Phil 15
    (Neale teaches phil at Berkeley -- I wonder if otherwise he would have
    shown some interest in GRICE!)
    NEWSTEAD, S Gricean implicature & syllogistic reasoning. J MEM & LANG 34
    Kasher should have repr. this! Part of Levinson's problem is with
    Sperber/Wilson (and what he calls the London School: Kempson, Blass,
    Blakemore, Carston -- forgetting Sperber leads G.R.I.C.E. in France --
    Group pour la reserche de la inference et la comprehension elementaire)'s
    idea that implicature is deductive. So I SUPPOSE Newstead's idea is
    supporting this Levinsonian (and of mine) idea that implicature is
    non-monotonic. But, while Levinson finds Carston's "explicature" vs.
    "implicature" a mainly lexical exercise, I FIND _this_ polemic as to
    whether implicature is deductive or not lexical!
    POLITZER C Are conjunction rule violations the results of conversational
    rule violations. JPsycholing res. 20.
    SCHEGLOFF E A Conversation. In Psathas.
    I quote this because "CA" has been so influential, & because H. Sacks had
    Grice's mimeo! before he so unfortunately died in a car accident.
    ==
    SADOCK J On testing for conversational implicature. In Cole. Sadock wrote
    the review of Levinson on the dustcover.
    SCHMERLING S Rules of conversation. Cole/Morgan.
    STEEVER, S Conversational implicature CLS 13
    STRAWSON, P F If and Material implication. In Grandy/Warner.
    Good that Levinson cites this. After the death of Grice, I think Strawson
    is the greatest English philosopher.
    And a few agree with me...
    THOMASON R Implicature In Cohen et al.
    WAINER J Generalised implicature. PhD Pennsulvania State Univ.
    WARD G. Implicating uncertainty. Lg. 61.
    Wow, I'm also filing IMPLICATING. I do this because G. Ward is a very good
    pragmaticist and about to publish a new book on all this with Blackwell.
    WELKER K Conversational Implicature. PhD Ohio State Univ, Columbus.
    ZIFF, P. On Grice on meaning. In Steinberg
    ===
    I was going to focus on the philosophical relevance of all this, but I
    rather send this as it is!
    I'm more and more convinced that so many disciplines deal with Grice, that
    one does not know where to start. Since Grice was a philosopher, I guess
    one could try starting with philosophy!
    I find Levinson's treatment of Grice the Philosopher not very
    _philosophical_, but interesting nonetheless...

    Further comments on philosophy, relevance, RT, etc welcomed.
    Is there a systematic treatment on why or where or when or how "RT" is a
    _Theory_? Grice had lots of doubts about "Theory" vs. Analysis (Eg.
    Studies, p.358, point B -- the issue is particularly well-dealt in
    Avramides. Grice offers an Analysis, not a Theory...) But of course all
    this is controversial...

    JL
    Grice Circle

    ===