A Grice-oriented RT bibliography checklist

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 12:27:47 GMT

    Not having visited Yu's page, I feel sort of ashamed sending this, but
    wonder if Yu's document is available inone single document or whether it
    depends on that hateful (but so handly) _search_ function. In any case, I'm
    compiling some bibliography on Grice, and have here selectined those
    authors who are also into RT.
    If you could send me an attach with his biblio and inform of new inclusions
    in his site that would be great. I understand he's mainly concerned with
    online bibliographies, though.

       Enjoy. Nice comments welcomed. JL

    ALLERTON, D. J. born 1936. ENGLISH.
    Grammatical Theory. BOOK
    Quotes Grice on pp. 266, 284
    Examples:
    A: I'm dying of thirst
    B: There's a packet of tea in the kitchen

    ATTARDO, Salvatore.
    The violation of Grice's maxims in jokes
    In K Hall, ed. THE LEGACY OF HP GRICE: A parasession of the Berkeley
    Linguistics Society.
    The most important Gricean after Austin, in terms of the letter "A".
    Attardo opened the symposium on The Legacy of Grice with the paper cited
    above. I wrote to congratulate him on that, and he wrote back, "Actually,
    they just put me first for alphabetical reasons. I was a lowly graduate
    student at the time, they would not have dreamed of having me open the
    thing. It was a low key business too: no speeches, or anything actually
    commemorating Grice." Anyway... So much for sincerity!

    AUWERA, J V D. Johan Van Der Belgian author. He writes in Dutch.
    LANGUAGE AND LOGIC: a speculcative a condition-theoretic study. BOOK.
    Amsterdam: Benjamins.
    Letter to JLS: Buy my book, and you'll see all I say about Grice.
    Thing is -- it's still NOT in paperback! And I don't read Dutch!
    He quotes an unpublished essay by Grice, but this is Not the List of Essays
    by Grice, so there!

    BROCKWAY, Diane M. Married to BLAKEMORE
    Constraints on interpretation
    In K Hall, The Legacy of Grice.
    Semantic constraints on relevance
    Book. BLACKWELL.
    Prof of Linguistics Salford, Lancashire. Formerly Southhampton.

    BURTON-ROBERTS, Noel. Prof of Linguistics, Newcastle, England. VERY
    IMPORTANT. member of the International Pragmatics Association. (IPRA).
    Modality and Implicature
    Linguistics and Philosophy, vol. 7.
    Also quotes Grice in 'Pragmatics and Witters" in Vershuceren & Papi,
    The pragmatic perspective, on p.735
    Noel is regarded a member of the so-called RELEVANCE THEORY GROUP.

    CARSTON, Robyn
    Implicature, explicature, and truth-theoretical semantics.
    Repr in A. Kasher, Conversational Implicature,
    London, RKP.
    In R M Kempson, Meaning and mental representation.
    She cites Grice on p.180
    Member of the relevance group, with Burton-Roberts and I!
    A reanalysis of some quantity implicatures.
    Saying and implicating.
    quoted by Wilson/Sperber in PGRICE.

    CLARK B
    Talk on Grice.

    COSENZA G
    Introduction, To H P GRICE'S HERITAGE. University of San Marino
    International Centre for Semiotic and Cognitive Studies, Ex-Monastero Santa
    Chiara.

    DASCAL M. Member of IPRA.
    Conversational relevance.
    Journal of Pragmatics. Not RT very relevant!

    DUCROT, Oswald.
    Encyclopaedic dictionary of the sciences of langauge. Tr by Cath. Porter.
    Blackwell.
    sou-entendue.
    Not a RT theorist but Wilson and Sperber call him the French Gricean.

    DUNN, J M J Michael
    Relevance logic and entailment.
    In Gabbay/Guenter, Handbook of Philosophical Logic.
    Cites Grice at p.125, 123, 124.
    Not relevance, but I'm analysing the interface relevance theory/relevance
    logic, if any!

    FAUCONNIER G
    Invisible meaning
    In K Hall, The Legacy of Grice.

    FIRTH, J. R
    "Firth would have taken the same view of Grice, on measing as having to do
    with intentions.
    Lyons, p.608.

    FRASER, Bruce,
    "Motor oil is motor oil"
    J Pragmatics 12
    Pragmatic formatives.

    FRETHEIM, J.
    The Effect of Intonation on a Type of Scalar Implicature
    In A. Kasher, Conversational Implicature,
    London, RKP.

    GIBBS R W J
    Book on Grice.'

    GRICE H P
    'Logic and Conversation'
    In STUDIES IN THE WAY OF WORDS. Harvard.

    HALL, K.
    Editor.
    THE LEGACY OF HP GRICE: A parasession of the Berkeley Linguistics Society.

    HOLDCROFT, D
    Conversation relevance and appropriateness.
    Leeds University Journal
    Not a R-Theorist but relevance

    HUDSON R A
    Sociolinguistics: section on Grice.
    Cambridge

    JACK J M
    The rights and wrongs of Grice on meaning
    Cited by Grice.
    Since Wilson studied at Somerville, she may have influenced her.

    KEENE, Geoffrey B (Exeter University=
    review of Grice in Butler.
    A relevant logician, I think, so quite relevant here
    He wrote First order functional calculus, RKP MOnographs in modern logic
    ed. G B Keene. He has a relevance logic mailing list.

    KEMPSON R M
    Grammar and Conversational principles
    In Newmeyer, P J Newmeyer, Linguistics: LInguistic Theory,
    now repr in A Kasher, Conversational Implicature,
    London RKP.
    Also Ambiguity and the semantics/pragmatics distinction, in
    C Travis, Meaning and interpretation, Oxford, Blackwell.

    MURRAY D K W
    Conversational concerns issues.
    Journal of Pragmatics, vol 7
    Talk on Grice.

    RECANATI, F.
    Direct reference
    Repr n A. Kasher IMPLICATURE.
    London, RKP as
    Truth-Conditional Pragmatics
    Primary Pragmatic Processes

    SPERBER, Dan
    On Defining Relevance,
    In PGRICE, ed. R Grandy
    Philosophical Grounds of Rationality: intentions, categories, ends.
    (written with D S M Wilson).

    WILSON D S M
    On Defining relevance.
    In P.G.R.I.C.E. ed, R Grandy, Philosophical Grounds of Ratinality,
    Intentions, Categories, Ends, Oxford. Clarendon.
    Is there a maxim of truthfulness
    In H P Grice's Heritage conference, San Marino.
    Also & D Sperber, On Grice's Theory of Conversation
    & D Sperber, Mutual Knowledge & Relevance in Theories of
    Comprehension. Both reprinted in Kahser, A. Conversational Implicature In
    London, RKP.
    ==
                            J L Speranza, Esq
    Country Town