Keep On Lovin' Ya: Does Relevance Subsume It All?

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 16:55:59 GMT

    Keep On Lovin' Ya: Does Relevance Subsume It All? A Neo-Testamentarian
    Analogy -- to J Fantin. On The Reduction of Grice's Maxims according to
    Wilson & Sperber.

       "And Jesus said, "Love thy neighbour like thou lovest
       thyself, and then thou canst forget about the dull
       ten commandments issued by Moses".

    J Fantin is concerned to what extent Wilson & Sperber succeed in subsuming
    the Decalogue of Grice (below) into one single principle, "The utterer has
    done his best to be maximally relevant" (W/S, p.170, in the Werth reprint).
    Fantin is trying to make sense of Reed:

        Indeed all of the above communicative principles
        [set by H P Grice] may be summed up under Sperber
        and Wilson's single axiom of relevance, the speaker
        tries to make the utterance as relevant as possible
        to the hearer." (Reed in Porter, p.242).

    How do Wilson and Sperber proceed? Let us have a look at the decalogue. It
    looks like the Ten Commandments received by Moises after crossing the Red
    Sea. What W & S are trying instead, is follow Jesus in saying, "Nay, it all
    amounts to, Love thy neighbour as thyself". I must say that, though Xian, I
    never got very much convinction from THAT motto by Jesus, since I tend to
    love some of my neighbours MORE than myself. Indeed, I find Jesus's motto
    to be rather selfish -- but I'm surely misinterpreting him. Anyway, Grice's
    catalogue (and S/W were celebrating the first ten years in their 1977
    microfiche) goes as follows:

            THE DECALOGUE ACCORDING TO ST. PAUL.

    Strategy 1: make your contribution as informative as is required (for the
    current purposes of the exchange)

    Strategy 2: do not make your contribution more informative than is required

    Strategy 3: do not say what you believe to be false

    Strategy 4: do not say that for which you lack adequate evidence

    Strategy 5: be relevant

    Strategy 6: avoid obscurity of expression

    Strategy 7: avoid ambiguity

    Strategy 8: be brief (avoid unnecessary prolixity) (sic)

    Strategy 9: be orderly

    Strategy 10: frame whatever you say in the form most suitable for any reply
    that would be regarded as appropriate, or facilitate in your form of
    expression the appropriate reply.

    Recall that W/S's task is to subsume (rather than "sum up" as Reed wrongly
    puts it) into, PR The utterer has done his best to be maximally relevant.
       CATEGORY OF INFORMATIVENESS. W & S say that S1 and S2 are particularly
    "vague". This they probably mean in a negative sense, but I am reminded
    that, knowing Grice, he saw in this a virtue. Thus, when postulating -- as
    per coming from Jehova -- his Logos No. Ten, he said, "I would be inclined
    to suggest that we add to the maxims [...] which I originally propounded
    some maxim which would be, as it should be _vague_" (Studies, p.273.
    Emphasis mine. JLS). W & S write that "no clue is given "about what
    constitutes the required level of informativeness". Other, we may see, that
    it should be "informative as is required for the current purpose of the
    exchange", which if you asks me, sounds pretty unvague to me.
    W & S's explanation goes: "If the utterer holds back some information, with
    together with the initial premisses M would yield a pragmatic implication,
    he will be violating the principle of relevance AND strategy one. If he
    gives ifnromation which yields NO pragmatic implication, he is violating
    both the principle of relevance and strategy 2". They add, "Grice himself
    points out that the effect of strategy 2 is secured by his maxim of
    relevance". The relevant passage being, "There is a reason for doubt about
    the admission of [strategy 2] viz that its effect will be secured by a
    later maxim which concerns relevance". Hence, W & S conclude, "in a a
    system which contains (PR) strategy one and two are redundant". This seems
    to underestimate cases like

    1. A (male): And you should have done it
       B: Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

    I.e. in some cases, the provision of information which is regarded by B as
    irrelevant seems "unreasonable" for reasons other than the generation of
    conversational implicature. Similarly if I say

    2. A: What's been catching your attention of late?
       B: The bombing of the twin towers, in New York, in the United States.

    Since it is pretty obvious that New York _is_ in the United States, one may
    see "in the United States" as otiose. However, this may not be so. First, A
    may interpret B as saying "the bombing of the twin towers, in New York, as
    when I was there last week". Or else, they may both be archaeologists
    working in the old part of York, England, and they have a code such that
    they refer to Old York and New York, by the latter meaning the new part of
    York in England. So they agreed that whenever they mean Manhattan they
    specify the country... ((NOTE TO THE READER: I had compiled a better, FAR
    better post than this, but it got deleted, so I'm relying on memory, and I
    may need more coffee. Also, I lost 78% of the motivation...).
       THE CATEGORY OF TRUSTWORTHINESS. W & S then turn to the CATEGORY OF
    TRUSTWORTHINESS, i.e. maxims 3 and 4, and say that they are not concerned
    with solving all the problems there, but some of them. Their strategy
    concerns the utterance of

    3. DOCTOR: What's the matter with you?
       PATIENT: I'm ill.

    W & S note that "the circumstances of utterance are such that if the remark
    is sincerely made, its relevance is guaranteed. [And so ...] it's the
    principle of relevance that makes the correct prediction", not Grice's.
        This is interesting, since in my previous post, I was wondering if
    there were cases of different predictions. However, let us examine more
    carefully the _semantics_ of ill. In my previous post I did it with the
    help of the OED, Skeat and ONIONS, but now I will only rely on ONIONS,
    Oxford Etym. Dict. He notes that there are two uses of "ill", one prior to
    the other. The prior usage includes:

    4. ill = 1. morally evil
             2. causing harm, pain, or disaster
             3. of bad quality
             4. of evil intent.

    The non prior usage is, however, "4b. ill = out of health, sick." So, the
    idea is, what is the criterion for our use of "ill". Is it something
    objective, as W & S suggest (their point being that the utterer cannot have
    better evidence than the doctor as to whehter he is ill or not) or is it
    subjective. Consider

    5. Doctor: What's wrong with you.
       Patient: I'm ill. I fear spiders.
       Doctor: Take this pill. Your illness is merely
               a disorder of your neuronal connexions.
               And come back in two weeks.
       ... (After two weeks)
       Patient: I took the pills, but I still fear the spiders.
                Scilicet, I am still ill.
       Doctor: Scili...whoa?
       Patient: Scilicet, that is to say, "that is to say."
       Doctor: Well, let me examine you.
       (He does)
       No. Nothing wrong with your neuronal connexions.
       You are not ill. You only _think_ you are...

    I wouldn't trust such a doctor! but then... Grice wouldn't either!
        THE CATEGORY OF RELATION. W & S then turn to relevance, -- strategy 5
    -- and they are happy to say that this is "clearly subsumed under PR". But
    here, it is interesting that unlike the reductionist trend of W & S, Grice
    was trying to make things more complex for Nowell-Smith. Grice is often
    credited as the first to bring into a decalogue the maxims, but like 10
    years before, a fellow of Trinity, Nowell Smith, had written in his
    influential Ethics, edited by A J Ayer for Penguin:

       "what an utterer says may be assumed to be relevant to the
       interests of his audience".
                  p.82

    Nowell-Smith thought he had revolutionised philosophy with that, and
    indeed, I know an Italian student who wrote a PhD called "The Influence of
    Nowell Smith on Myself, or how pre-Griceans Abounded in Grice", or something.
        But Grice was thinking, Nowell Smith can't have his cake and eat it (or
    eat it and have it). Relevance is such a complex notion that it's not a
    question of saying "be relevant", or The utterer has done his best to be
    maximally relevant". Since, what _is_ relevant. Thus in Logic &
    Conversation, he wrote,
       "Under the category of relation I place a single maxim, be relevant.
    Tho' the maxim is terse, its formulation conceals a number of problems that
    exercise me a good deal. Questions about
        1. what different kinds and focuses of relevance
           there may be.
        2. How these shift in the course of a talk exchange.
        3. how to allow for the fact that subjects of conversation
           are legitimately changed
        4. and so on.
    "I find the treatment of such questions exceedingly difficult, and I hope
    to revert to them in later work".
    So you see, either you want to reduce or to multiply... S/W reduce (or
    "save"). Grice would have multiplied here. Another multiplicationist seems
    to be D. Holdcroft, who teaches Philosophy at Leeds, Yorkshire.
       THE CATEGORY OF MANNER. S & W then turn to the category of Manner or
    perspicuity ("be perspicuous). Consider strategy 6 (avoid obscurity). Here
    they point out that it would be otiose for an utterer to be intentionally
    obscure since how would the addressee get the relevance. Here they seem to
    be underestimating Dennis Potter. This English dramatist has shown that in
    some cases, what is obscure for one addressee may not be obscure for
    another. Or consider a furrin speaker in a formal dinner. He belches. But
    the guest, not knowing the language, thinks he means "thank you for the
    dinner". On the other hand, mrs Furrin knows that her husband is being
    rude. And so on. The relevant passage from Potter I learned from drama
    student of Halifax, M Boardman. He writes,
        "In answer to how one would apply H. P. Grice's idea of a
    "conversational implicature" to Potter's (or any similar English dramatist
    -- such as Pinter) dialogue may best be illustrated with a working example.
    The following lines are from the opening of _Karaoke_, which begins with a
    song by Dion -- with a couple of teenagers in a convertible. There's then a
    cut to a karaoke bar with Hywell Bennet doing a very bad rendition of the
    song. As the song closes we settle on Daniel Feeld (Albert Finney) lying on
    a hospital trolly awaiting exploratory procedures for suspected cancer. The
    lyric goes

        "If you should say goodbye,
        I'll still
             keep on lovin' ya."

    Now, the phrase "lovin' ya" appears now on the lips of _Feeld_. And the
    opening actual dialogue between
    Feeld and the doctor runs thus:

    6. Patient (miming song). "...loving you".
       Doctor (surprised). Um, what?
       Patient (apologetic). Nothing, I, er...
         This is all a bit _un_dignified,
         isn't it? I think I was thinking about
         something else, so please... I hope
         I was thinking about -- thinking about something else.
       Doctor (changing topic). Well, Mr Feeld.

            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
             I'm just going to insert this soft
                   tube into your rectum.
            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      Patient. Now I'm _definitely_ thinking about something
         else. Spare me the guided tour, please.

    Both Feeld and Doctor are breaking Grice's maxim, "Be relevant". The
    doctor, we can assume, is doing this for a conventional social reason - not
    wanting to question the patient too closely (for fear of upsetting him
    during an uncomfortable procedure) -- and also wanting to hasten Feeld's
    awareness of what is about to happen A simple topic shifting. Feeld, on the
    other hand, is breaking the relevance maxim but for a quite different
    reason - to foreground the fact that his thoughts are elsewhere. This he
    does _for the benefit of the addressee_ (us), so that we can make a
    connection between the opening sequence (Bennett in the karaoke bar) and
    the Feeld lying on the hospital trolley. We can thus extend Grice's
    co-operative principle to include co-operation not just with your
    conversational partner, but with a third party, the intended addressee of
    the _play_. "loving you" (from the song lyric) is maximally _inefficient_
    for the doctor, but maximally efficient for the play's addressee."
       W & S turn to the remaining strategies of perspicuity. Re Strategy 7,
    they speak of "ambiguity", and note that every utterance is per natura, or
    "virtually" ambiguous. I seem to think that for Grice, the opposite
    precisely holds. One virtue of Grice is that one can hold UNIVOCITY plus
    IMPLICATURE. But we are working with different paradigms here. Grice
    considers "vice" and "vice". Both are pronounced the same, but they are
    different words, since they come from different roots -- which I forget
    now. So this is like phonetic non-identity. W & S's paradigm is one like
    "bank". Finally, S & W seem to be underestimating that the utterer may
    purposefully want to be, as it were "equivocal" (I think "equivocation" is
    a nice middle-of-the-road term. In my previous post, I quoted from a Latin
    verse from Catullus, getting offlist the remark that I was being
    irrelevant, whereas I thought I was improving on Grice's appeal to the more
    elementary poet W Blake. The Catullus line included the words "domina" and
    "domus", and could be interpreted (by Alison Parker, a classicist) either as:

    8a. The wife will let you have a home.
    8b. The prostitute you can take to your cunning cottage.

    Catullus may well have meant to keep the level of Equivocation at play, so
    it's not easy to see how he's intent to be relevant can subsume his intent
    to be purposefully equivocal.
       W & S then turn to strategy 8, regarding brevity. They consider
    different types of brevity, but it is at least sensible to suppose that
    Grice was thinking of phonetic brevity. One of W & S's examples is the pair

    9a. The baby is eating arsenic
    9b. The baby is putting arsenic into his mouth,
        chewing it, and swallowing it.

    They note that (9b) can hardly be relevant, since, under normal
    circumstances, a mother would like to stop the baby's proceedings. On the
    other hand, sadistic as my thoughts can be, I can imagine a character in a
    bad James Bond film telling the mother what the baby is especially doing.
    Or in an erotic picture (film), many would prefer not your average
    Anglo-Saxon expletive, but phrases in that most romancic (sic) of languages
    -- German...
      Finally, S & W consider "and", as it relates to strategy 9, be orderly.
    In this case, the pair could be:

    10a. The baby died, and ate the arsenic.
    10b. The baby ate the arsenic and died.

    S & W think that they are truth-conditionally equivalent and they are, but,
    contra Grice, think that it's relevance that guides the interpretation,
    since one can provide a different interpretation for each. I tried and
    tried, but can only come up with one involving the after-life regarding
    (10b) which does not _seem_ to be what S & W are arguing for...
       Of course this is only a bad version of this, I promise, much better,
    better documented post I had compiled -- which took me like 2 hours, if not
    more. And when i was looking the key to find the "@" sign to send to ucl,
    the mailer axed me, "do you want to cancel or ...", and I pressed something
    which canceled it alright, i.e. my whole post! Computers!
       ==== In any case, it's not intended as nothing like a refutation of the
    father and mother of relevance theory, but merely provide some food for
    thought, and thought for food to J Fantin, our new testamentarian scholar
    -- who probably keeps thinking that "love thy neighbour like thyself" Does
    Subsume -- if not Sum Up - the Ten Great Commandments by Moises, of the Red
    Sea fame...
      Best,

        JL
         GC.