Re: Questions concerning the relationship between RT & Grice

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 14:07:43 GMT

    J Fantin, of Sheffield, England, writes:

    "I am interested in the role of Grice's work within RT and the position of
    RT within the larger field of pragmatics. As with my previous posts, please
    feel free to correct me if I demonstrate an obvious lack of understanding
    of RT. I came to the field of pragmatics (and Grice's work) through RT and
    my understand of the relationship of the two is as follows. Are my
    observations here correct?
    1. RT builds upon and goes beyond Grice's "Cooperative Principle" and
    maxims by further re-fining and postulating _relevance_ as the only
    essential maxim."

    Wrong. RT does _not_ postulate _relevance_ as a maxim. Thus Wilson &
    Sperber say:
    Sub-Section,
    "What are the differences between RT and Grice's approach"
    (first edition, section, The principle of relevance, ch. relevance, pp. 161
    ff)

    It would then be first a _principle_ not a maxim, but I'll let _that_ pass.
    But the important thing is:

    "Communicators do not _follow_ the principle of relevance, and they could
    not violate it even if they wanted to".

    So, this contrasts, blatantly, with Grice's _maxim_ of relevance, which,
    you may recall from reading 'Logic & Conversation' can be violated in

    1. A: Mrs Smithers-Jones is an old bag.
       B: The weather's been quite delightful this summer.

    Of course, a full-fledged interpretation of the non-monotonic process
    behind (1) may lead you to say that some notion of _relevance_ is NOT being
    _flouted_ there, but Grice explicitly (and in the repr. in STUDIES IN THE
    WAY OF WORDS, too) classifies that example as one "in which an implicature
    is achieved by REAL, as opposed to APPARENT, VIOLATION OF THE MAXIM, BE
    RELEVANT", which, he says are "rare, perhaps"... (Grice, Studies, p.35).

    "Through this maxim, a working theory of pragmatics can be suggested.
    2. Thus, though RT has roots in Grice, it really departs from traditional
    Grican pragmatics.
    3. Within the general field of pragmatics which is dominated by traditional
    Grican practitioners, RT is not widely accepted and generally rejected
    (e.g., Levinson, Review of _Relevance, 1989; Mey, _Pragmatics_, 1993). I
    do not share this belief; this is merely my observation."

    What belief? that RT is rejected, or the belief that you believe that RT is
    generally rejected? :) I take it that you mean the former, but I don't call
    "rejection" a belief, but an attitude.

    I guess you are right, that, all in all, there are more Griceans than
    RT-ists, but then, RT is the only one which has a mailing list, so--- look
    on the bright side!

    Also, one thing about RT, which is unlike non-RT, is like it is like a
    club, so you have people! Consider the list of RT-mailing list members,
    which is available publicly for all to see. The list includes:

    I won't provide their emails but their names, when I know they have
    contributed with papers, which, plus the inferential assumption that they
    subscribe in here, make them RT-ists: