Re: Questions concerning the relationship between RT & Grice

From: JFantin@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 20:15:16 GMT

    Thanks for the response. This is very helpful and will take some time to digest. Just to clarify my position on a couple of points.

    [J. Fantin]
    >> 3. Within the general field of pragmatics
    >> which is dominated by traditional
    >> Grican practitioners, RT is not widely
    >> accepted and generally rejected
    >> (e.g., Levinson, Review of _Relevance, 1989;
    >> Mey, _Pragmatics_, 1993). I do not share
    >> this belief; this is merely my observation."

    [JL]
    > What belief? that RT is rejected, or the belief that
    > you believe that RT is generally rejected? :)
    > I take it that you mean the former, but I don't call
    > "rejection" a belief, but an attitude.

    Yes, it seems to me that many in the field of pragmatics reject RT in favor of Grice. I personally have found RT a better theoretical framework than Grice’s to explain the communicative process.

    [JL]
    > --- I don't see why you see Levinson as anti
    > RT when the man did so much for RT --

    As for my mention of Levinson, I note him here because his review of "Relevance" seemed rather negative when I read it. However, it has been a while and maybe I misunderstood him. In any case, he did not seem like an RT practitioner.

    Again, thanks.
    Joe