RT, efficiency in communication, and the expression of a superlative concept

From: JFantin@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 14:13:23 GMT

    Dear RT List,

    I am a post graduate at the University of Sheffield in Biblical studies.
    However, I have formal linguistic training (but not in RT). And have used RT
    extensively in a (soon to be submitted) PhD thesis (in New Testament) on the
    imperative mood (at another school).

    I have been wrestling with the relational word "lord" in ancient literature
    and would like to get some feedback from the list on what I have been
    considering. I have kept my comments brief (though still probably too long)
    but I hope this is sufficient to make my point. I will be happy to clarify
    anything.

    Finally, if anyone as any suggestions (including bibliography) that will be
    helpful, I would be very appreciative. Also, though I have used and read
    much RT literature, I have never spoken with a real live RT scholar (or
    person for that matter) so I am not sure whether I understand the theory as
    well as I should. Please feel free to inform me that I am really missing the
    point if that be the case. Thanks.

    Using Sperber and Wilson's discussion of efficiency in communication (1995:
    46ff) and the principle of relevance itself as a point of departure, I
    propose that an abstract relational concept such as "supreme lord/master" may
    be expressed (realized) in a surface structure (text or utterance) by
    different words or phrases depending upon the referent of the label itself.
    Specifically, the social status and relationship between the referent and the
    speaker and what the speaker wishes to communicate about the referent will
    result in different types of expression for different individuals. As for
    the first, the following contextual factors will contribute to the choice of
    expression:

    1. the relationship of the referent to the individual using the label.
    2. the social status of the referent with respect to the individual using the
    label.
    3. the social status and relationship of the referent to the local community
    of which the individual using the label belongs.
    4. the social status and relationship of the referent to the wider cultural
    context (e.g., the [known] world).

    Therefore, in Ancient Rome in approximately 60 CE, the emperor Nero by virtue
    of his social status and relationship to his subjects could simply be called
    "lord" (Latin dominus; Greek: kyrios or despotes) to express this superlative
    concept. The use of any modifiers such as "one" or "most high" would be
    redundant unless the purpose of the utterance was praise or flattery. The
    emperor's status in the empire is unparalleled and his relationship to all
    subjects (including other local "lords") is one of supreme master/lord.
    Therefore, efficiency would suggest that only the one word label "lord" would
    be sufficient to express this superlative concept. And indeed would seem to
    express this concept unless otherwise made explicit.

    However, in a more localized case, such as a subject king in Palestine or
    Asia Minor during the same period, the title "lord" by itself could not mean
    supreme lord/master because of his status and relationships between his
    subjects and the emperor. He is indeed lord to his people but it is
    understood that he is not supreme lord/master because of the implicit
    relationships within the empire between emperor, vassal kings, and people.
    Therefore, there would be no conflict in the following statements (without
    other explicit information elsewhere):

    Nero is lord (or lord Nero)
    Agrippa is lord (or lord Agrippa)
    [note, though these statements look confessional, they are only written this
    way to illustrate my point, they are not intended to be confessional]

    If however, one wished to express that the vassal king is the supreme
    lord/master, the communication process would demand some type of modifier(s)
    because he is not normally so considered. Therefore, "Agrippa is the most
    high lord" or "Agrippa is the one lord" would be necessary.

    Because of the relational nature and semantics of the term "lord" (there can
    be only one supreme lord), the modified statements would involve an implicit
    challenge to the statement, "Nero is lord."

    I hope I am clear here. Does anyone have any comments (positive or negative)
    or direction on my proposal? Am I correct to see that relevance theory
    helps explain this? Any comments would be helpful.

    Joe Fantin
    PhD student: University of Sheffield