Gricean humour -- irrelevant punchline? any ideas/works? attach welcommed

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 21:03:53 GMT

    Dear all,

    I'm online now so shan't elaborate much, I hope! I have heard the odd
    lecture, & at the odd Gricean symposium, too, that although theories of
    humour are either 1. nonhumoristic, or 2. nonexistant, some people (I
    recall at least one Chilean linguist) have claimed that English humour is
    all-ways some flout to Grice. And I happen to (_tend to_) find flouts to
    Grice funny (By "flout to Grice" I mean "& as recognised by him", i.e. the
    usual mechanism of the implicature): the punchline is the "flout" -- which
    is directed to the audience as from the _humorist_ (qua utterer) and not
    necessarily from the "literal" _utterer_ of the line (where divergence
    applies. I doubt it does). All this pretty convolutedly expressed, but I
    hope intelligible.

    I mean: if you say "pigs", that would be the punchline to some joke
    provided (or as Grice would say, "iff") "pigs" flouts "the cooperative
    principle (or some of its maxims)". You find the context!
    Best,

    JL
    Grice Circle
    jls@netverk.com.ar
    Now, for the relevance-theorist, I guess relevance should figure large in
    an attempt to construe (let alone explain, or is it explain, let alone
    construe) "humour ala neo-Grice". Now, would _that_ mean that the funny
    punchline is the irrelevant one!? Mmmm, don't think so!
    JL's posts are irrelevant, but they are hardly funny (at least to me) --
    they are _annoy-ing_ (and at best). Irritating or downright dumb at most...
    (who _is_ JL?)
    Anyone!? (explicature -> please/bitte?)