Oratio Recta/Obliqua Distinction & RT

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 21:00:54 GMT

    Robyn Carston has recently forwarded a note announcing the publication of F.
    Recanati's book on "Oratio Obliqua, Oratio Recta" (MIT, 2000, 360pp). A
    review (by A Alvarez) has just appeared in LINGUIST 12.480. Unfortunately,
    no biblio references are given, but a mention of D. Sperber:

      The book's main asset is the clarity of Recanati's style.
      He expounds his own views, as well as those of theorists
      he agrees with or attempts to refute (including Quine,
      Davidson, Russell, Frege, Barwise, Perry, Kaplan, Ducrot,
      and Sperber) with great simplicity and concision, avoiding
      the use of unexplained technical terms.

    Not much to hold a discussion on this list with, I know, alas. I especially
    enjoyed the ref. to Oswald Ducrot, who is described by Sperber & Wilson in
    Relevance as "The French Grice" or words to that effect. :).
    Best,

    JL