information about context

From: Thorstein Fretheim (thorstein.fretheim@hf.ntnu.no)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 20:31:37 GMT

    Hi all,

    I've been reading Diane Blakemore's paper on "nevertheless" and "but"
    in Journal of Linguistics 36:3 (2000) with interest. Diane is making
    the point that "nevertheless" gives information about the CONTEXT in
    which the utterance is to be interpreted rather than information
    about its intended effects (p. 482), and she concludes, therefore,
    that the notion of procedural meaning as a constraint on contextual
    effects is too narrow and must be extended to include information
    about inferential processes involved in context selection.

    I always thought that procedural information about the intended
    context IS one subtype of cognitive effect that may contribute to
    relevance. Isn't this what is standardly (in RT literature) referred
    to as "implicated premises"? In Diane's own example from her 1992
    book UNDERSTANDING UTTERANCES (p. 126) Barbara's answer to "Me"
    enables the hearer to supply the contextual information "The music we
    are listening to is atonal":
    Me: Do you like this music?
    Barbara: I've never liked atonal music.
    How can it be that the implicated premise "The music we are listening
    to is atonal" does affect derivation of intended effects that
    constrain relevance, while the procedural marker "nevertheless" does
    NOT constrain the hearer's computation of intended effects, even if
    it facilitates the process of context selection just like Barbara's
    reference to "atonal music" in the above example?
    And then a question addressed directly to Diane: One of the two bits
    of procedural information that you postulate for "nevertheless" is
    that this word encodes the information that the utterance is relevant
    as an answer to a question whose relevance has been established in
    the preceding discourse (p. 481). Isn't that condition too strong?
    Cannot the apparent incompatibility/contradiction to be resolved by
    the elimination of an assumption sometimes be *evoked* - activated by
    the hearer - by means of the communicator's use of the word
    "nevertheless"? Isn't your reference to "a question whose relevance
    has been established in the PRECEDING DISCOURSE" (my capitals) too
    narrow?

    Best regards,

    Thorstein Fretheim