Re: BOUNCE relevance@ling.ucl.ac.uk: Non-member submission from [Dr Keiko Tanaka <keiko.tanaka@hertford.oxford.ac.uk>]

From: David Neal (davidnealos@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 04:19:29 GMT

    Keiko Tanaka wrote:

    > >Dear all
    > >
    > >May I ask if someone could help me? I am working on a paper to be
    > >presented at a conference entitled 'Language, the Media and
    > >International Communication' to be held at Oxford in March-April 2001,
    > >which is basically an extension of the work I have been doing on and off
    > >for some time on language of the media. The paper is specifically about
    > >a sort of play with a reference, as in the following example:
    > >
    > >'Maybe it was partly because the Princess of Wales was so beautiful, so
    > >young, so transparently naive when she took part in that fairy-tale
    > >wedding, that everyone hoped and believed the marriage would be a
    >success..............
    > >
    > >Poor Princess Alexandra.' (from the 11 Dec. 1992 edition of the
    >Independent')
    > >
    > >The author of this article intends the audience to access the late
    > >Princess Diana when she uses the phrase 'the Princess of Wales', or
    > >rather she did intend this reference at the time of writing the article,
    > >and then intends to surprise them when she reveals that she is referring
    > >to the previous Princess of Wales.
    > >
    > >I am probably being very ignorant, but I don't know what this type of
    > >word play is called, but suspect that there most likely is a Greek word
    > >for it. Could somebody please tell me what is it called? If there are
    > >useful references among existing body of literature, could you please
    > >also tell me?
    > >
    > >In anticipation, I thank you all very much.
    > >
    > >Yours sincerely,
    > >Keiko Tanaka

    Dear Keiko,

    In anticipation of a neat Greek abbreviation, you might look to Levinson's
    idea of generalized conversational implicature (GCI) (in, Presumptive
    Meanings, 2000). Levinson uses this term to refer to inferences that an
    audience makes in the absence of information to the contrary, but which can
    conceivably be contradicted by the addition of such information. Inferences
    of this form are described as nonmonotonic to distinguish them from those
    rendered deductively, which lack the same sense of contingency.

    Another way to put it is that GCI's operate as 'default logics', ie.,
    inferences that are defeasible (or, when instantiated, nonmonotonic), but
    which proceed via a reasonable, or ceteris paribus (all other things being
    equal) assumption in the delivery of a given conclusion (see Levinson, 2000,
    p. 42).

    Obviously, this relates to the communicative norm itself, and not to its
    exploitation at the hands of your Machiavellian author. It might be some
    help though if you want to discuss the mutual participation of writer and
    audience in that type of deception.

    Cheers,

    David Neal
    Department of Psychology