Re: Pragmatics textbook?

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 02:40:05 GMT

    Dick Hudson writes

      Please reply to Peter Svenonius, not me!
      Dick Hudson

    Yes, I read it in the Linguistics forum, but you know what? I think it's
    immoral to reply to P.Sven. It's up to him (or hisself, as my granny says) -
    i.e. to P.Sven to see if he (P.Sven) can find the passage. Otherwise, the
    student wins. I guess that would be the policy, where H. P. Grice was tutor!
    Why presuppose the student is a criminal if clever?

    "Immoral" is relevantly slightly exaggerated. A hyperbole, as Grice would
    put it! :) (which I'm currently researching into. See Grice, Logic &
    Conversation, Studies in the Way of Words, p.34).

    JL
    (Mr)
    The Grice Circle
    jls@netverk.com.ar