... seems to be the hardest word (relevantly speaking)

From: J L Speranza (jls@netverk.com.ar)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:29:52 GMT

    R Breheny, of Keynes House, Cambridge, writes: "I was wondering if any of
    you knew of interesting previous treatments [on the semantics of "sorry"]"

    Try:
    Willis J. Edmondson. 'On Saying You're Sorry.' In F Coulmas, ed.
    Conversational Routine: Explorations in Stnadardised Communication
    Situations & Prepatterned Speech, Rasmus Rask Studies in Pragmatic
    Linguistics, vol. 2. Janua Linguarum Series Mario 96. The Hague: Mouton, pp.
    pp.273-288. Especially section, Apologies in discourse.
       Also in the same volume, Bruce Fraser, 'On Apologising.' pp.259-271.
    especially section. An apology. 9 Strategies for apologising (1.announcing,
    2.stating, 3.offering, 4.requesting, 5.expressing, 6.requesting forgiveness,
    7.acknowledging, 8.promising, 9.offering redress. Factors influencing the
    choice of apologising strategy.

    My own approach - from a Gricean philosophy of language - would be via H. P.
    Grice (Studies in the Way of Words), via S R Schiffer (Meaning - taxonomy of
    illocutionary acts in terms of Gricean intentions) and a look at D
    Holdcroft, Words & Deeds (for a Gricean treatment of Austin's pragmatics).
    Fraser defines an apology as a "type of remedial action", so I'm sure
    there's more specific bibliography by so-called conversation-analysists like
    E Schegloff and G Jefferson.

    The header is a reference to E. Taupin/Elton John's song, "Sorry seems to be
    the hardest word".

    Oops. I notice you write "semantics" of sorry. All the references above are
    to the conversational "pragmatics" of sorry. Sorry has no semantics! :)

    Good luck and best wishes,

    JL
    JL Speranza (Mr)
    Buenos Aires, Argentina.