new article

From: Dan Chiappe (chiappe@fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 19:29:33 GMT

    Dear Relevance List members;

    I have a new article that might be of interest to some of you. Please
    let me know if you would like a reprint. The full reference and a brief
    summary of the article are listed below.

    Cheers,

    Dan Chiappe
    Department of Psychology
    SUNY Fredonia

    Chiappe, D. L. (2000). Metaphor, modularity, and the evolution of
    conceptual integration. Metaphor and Symbol, 15, 137-158.

    This paper examines the nature of the cognitive architecture underlying
    metaphorical thought. It is argued that this kind of conceptual
    integration requires a non-modular architecture. It also examines the
    evolutionary scenario espoused by Fodor (1983) and Mithen (1996), which
    holds that this non-modular architecture evolved from a modular one.
    This scenario is defended against recent criticisms by Dan Sperber
    (1994) among others. Furthermore, although Sperber’s (1994) concept of
    a meta-representational belief is taken to be essential for explaining
    how people represent metaphors, it is argued that Sperber’s notion of a
    “meta-representation module” fails to satisfy some essential criteria
    for modularity, namely information encapsulation.