New member of the list

From: Ljungqvist Arin (arin@home.se)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 07:29:38 GMT

    Hi everybody,

    My name is Marita and I am a Ph.D student at the Department of East Asian Languages at Lund University, Sweden. I'm doing research on the marker LE in Mandarin Chinese. It has been described as a perfective/perfect/tense/anteriority/modal/current relevance etc marker, actually as two distinct markers, because it can appear in two positions in the sentence, either directly after the verb or in the end of the sentence. I am doing a unified semantic-pragmatic analysis of the marker. I have found RT to be a very attractive theory for my work since I believe LE to be a context-dependent marker that can contribute to temporal/aspectual and modal distinctions in the sentence. In my work I show that different readings of sentences with LE is caused to a large extent by conceptual and contextual information and only to a marginal extent by syntactic position. I'm very interested in all comments on this kind of work, or to share experiences with others doing similar type of research.

    Best regards,

    Marita Ljungqvist Arin
    Department of East Asian Languages
    Lund University
    Sweden

    P.S. I use www.thehungersite.com as home page in my browser. This gives
     me the opportunity of securing a daily donation to the United Nations
     World Food Programme. Recommended!