disrupted texts, poetic effects, and relevance

From: John Constable (jbc12@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 07:55:36 GMT

    An article of mine, dated 1999, but in fact just published, has a
    section discussing the possible relation between disrupted text and
    rich poetic effects.

    Constable, John, and Hideaki Aoyama, "Word Length Frequency and
    Distribution in English: Part II. An Empirical and Mathematical
    Examination of the Character and Consequences of Isometric
    Lineation", Literary and Linguistic Computing, 14/4 (1999), 507-535.

    The main body of the piece presents a mathematical distinction
    between prose and isometrically lineated text (verse) in English.
    Relevance makes an appearance in the final section, 530-532.

    It's an OUP journal, so I suppose many of you have access to it, but
    if you need an offprint let me know and I'll mail you one.

    --

    John Constable College Lecturer and Director of Studies in English Magdalene College Cambridge CB3 0AG UK.

    email: jbc12@cam.ac.uk

    Cambridge Phones: (01223) 332155 or (01223) 460103

    Suffolk Phones: (01728) 663390 or (01728) 663799