syntax/pragmatics conference

From: robyn carston (robyn@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 14:46:34 GMT

    Interaction between Syntax and Pragmatics

            Unversity College London=20
            April 5-6, 2000

    Organizing committee:
    Dirk Bury, Karen Froud, Richard Horsey, Kriszta Szendroi

    The conference precedes this year's LAGB Spring Meeting=20
    (also at UCL). It is sponsored by UCL and the LAGB.=20
    This message contains the preliminary programme and=20
    details on accommodation and registration.

    --Early registration deadline: 1 March
    --Deadline for guaranteed accommodation: 24 February=20

    Preliminary programme:

    Day 1 (April 5)

     9.00 Registration and Coffee

    10.30 Relative clauses, left-periphery effects, and the=20
            dynamics of language processing
            Ruth Kempson, King's College (Invited speaker)=20

    11.30 Fronting: The syntax and pragmatics of Topic and Focus
            Annabel Cormack, UCL=20
            Neil Smith, UCL

    12.10 English as a discourse configurational language:=20
            The syntactic incorporation of focus structure
            Carsten Breul, Universitaet Duisburg

    12.50 Lunch

     2.00 Focus Structure Architecture and P-syntax
            Nomi Erteschik-Shir, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
            Natalia Strahov, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

     2.40 Focus, obviation, and word order in East Cree
            Marie-Odile Junker, Carleton University

     3.20 Manifestation of Informational Focus
            Xu Liejiong, City University of Hong Kong

     4.00 Coffee

     4.20 Evidentiality, Logophoricity and the Syntactic=20
            Representation of Pragmatic Features
            Peggy Speas, University of Massachusetts

     5.00 Focusing in Italian copular constructions
            Asya Pereltsvayg, McGill

     5.40 Discourse and syntactic factors in Bare Ellipsis=20
            Resolution=20
            Jonathan Ginzburg, King's College
            Howard Gregory, King's College
            Shalom Lappin, King's College
    =09
     6.20 End=20

    Day 2 (April 6)

     9.45 Locality and Left Periphery
            Luigi Rizzi, University of Siena (Invited speaker)

    10.45 Coffee

    11.00 Reconfiguring syntax, or some good reasons why we
            shouldn't
            Kieran Snyder, University of Pennsylvania

    11.40 Contrastive Focus Reduplication in English
            Jila Ghomeshi, University of Manitoba
            Ray Jackendoff, Brandeis/Wissenschaftskolleg Berlin
            Nicole Rosen, University of Toronto
            Kevin Russell, University of Manitoba

    12.20 Closing off

    12.35 End.

    Alternate
            Focus and quantification
            Sarah D. Kennelly, University of Utrecht

            (further alternates tbc)

    The abstracts will be available shortly on our website=
     http://pitch.phon.ucl.ac.uk/conference

    For further information please contact:
    Syntax/Pragmatics Conference Committee, Department of
    Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London, Gower
    Street, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom,
    or d.bury@ucl.ac.uk (Dirk Bury),or visit our website.=20

    ______________________________________
    Registration and Accommodation

    Please also note that our early registration deadline
    is 1 March, and that we can only guarantee
    accommodation if it is booked by 24 February (see
    below for more details on accommodation and the form
    for registration and accommodation).

    Accommodation can be made available for conference
    participants in two locations, both within five
    minutes' walk from the conference location.
    Accommodation in Ramsay Hall, one of UCL's halls of
    residence, consists of single bedrooms, with hand wash
    basins and shared bathroom facilities, offered on a
    half-board basis (i.e. breakfast and dinner provided)
    at bargain price of =A328.00 per person per night. To
    reserve accommodation in Ramsay Hall, contact Karen
    Froud karen@ling.ucl.ac.uk for further details as soon
    as possible.

    Accommodation in the Tavistock Hotel consists of
    either single or twin bedrooms with ensuite
    facilities, television and radio, and the price
    includes full breakfast. The Tavistock also has a
    wine-bar and restaurant, and a pay garage is available
    for guests. Prices are =A365.00 per night for a single
    room and =A383.60 for a twin room. To reserve
    accommodation at the Tavistock Hotel, please contact
    them directly on +44 (0)20 7636 8383, asking for
    reservations and mentioning the UCL conference (as we
    have a certain number of rooms set aside for
    conference delegates).

    Please note that accommodation in Central London in
    the spring is at a premium, and the rooms reserved for
    conference delegates will be allocated on a first-come
    first-served basis. Accommodation cannot be guaranteed
    unless it is booked and paid for by February 24th 2000
    at the latest.=20

    Booking Form

    Conference on the Interaction Between Syntax and
    Pragmatics
    UCL, April 5-6 2000
    =20
    Use this form to register for the conference, and for
    accommodation in Ramsay Hall.
    Please send this form and your payment to Karen Froud.
    You may pay by credit card (unfortunately we can only=20
    accept Visa or Mastercard),
    so you can use either paper (Department of Phonetics
    and Linguistics, UCL,
    Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT) or email
    Karen@linguistics.ucl.ac.uk. Please note
    that we do not use a secure link for credit card
    payments.

    Name: ____________________

    Email: ____________________

    Address: _______________________

               _______________________

    =20
    Accommodation

    If you require hotel accommodation, please refer to
    the details on the main conference
    page. I require accommodation in Ramsay Hall (single
    rooms half-board only) at =A328 per
    night, for the nights of:

    April 4 ____

    April 5 ____

    April 6 ____

    =20
    Conference Fee

    Registration for the conference is =A320. Early
    registrations (before 1 March) are =A315.
    Students and other concessions are also =A315 (any time
    before the conference). University
    of London staff and students receive a discounted rate
    of =A310.

    ___ Full (=A320)=20

    ___ Early (=A315)

    ___ Concession (=A315)

    ___ University of London (=A310)

    If you have selected 'Concession', please enter the
    type (e.g. student, retired)

    ____________
    =20

    Payment

    If you do not wish so submit your credit card details
    over the web, please print this
    form out and send it to the address above. You may
    also pay by cheque (made payable to UCL).

    Card Type: (Visa or Master Card) ___________=20

    Card Number: _________________

    Expiry Date (MM/YY): ______

    Name of Cardholder: ____________________=20