Re: [SPAM] RT list: Ordinary Language Philosophy

From: Stavros Assimakopoulos <stavros.assimakopoulos@um.edu.mt>
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 10:05:09 GMT

Just to play the devil's advocate: Even though Grice's aim in 'Logic and
Conversation' was most certainly this, his way of talking about
'conventional meaning' in his writings seems to at least bear some
connection to the Ordinary Language Philosophy camp. Even though one of the
main criticisms that Sperber and Wilson put forth against his paradigm is
that he equated 'what is said' with truth-conditional semantics, on closer
inspection, one can easily see that he never actually expressed this, but
was quite "liberal" in his conception of 'conventional' (and that is just
one of the reasons, he is customarily linked to Ordinary Language
Philosophy even in textbooks, 'implicature' being the most basic of
course). Off the top of my head, I think this particular point was
independently made by Jennifer Saul and von Heusinger and Turner, possibly
also Stephen Neale (I'm sure I could locate the references, if anyone is
interested).

Regarding the failure to mention RT in the programme, it might just be
linked to the (correct to my mind) understanding of RT as more of a
psychological rather than a philosophical theory.

Cheers,
Stavros

--
Stavros Assimakopoulos