Re: [SPAM] RT list: Ordinary Language Philosophy

From: Christoph Unger <christoph-kuelvi_unger@sil.org>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 07:57:23 GMT

Dear David,

Grice's objective was indeed to argue against Ordinary Language
Philosophy. By showing, for example, that the various non-truth
conditional meanings of 'and' could be deduced from the logical
connective AND and some general principles of conversation (that were
in turn rooted in principles of general rationality), he argued that
its a fallacy to take the context-dependence of natural language
expressions as evidence for the position that natural language terms
are not logical and that the meaning of natural language terms is
radically different from logical expressions.

--Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Unger
SIL International