RE: RT list: VS: Ray Gibbs on logical form

From: Prof. Kasia Jaszczolt <kmj21@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 17:09:34 GMT

Dear Kristin and All,

This is just to say that I agree with Kristin's points; we reached a
similar conclusion at our seminar in Cambridge. The suggestion would take
us to what Recanati calls 'meaning eliminativism' I think? A tempting but
difficult position to defend.

All the best,
Kasia

On Feb 18 2011, boerjess@rz.uni-leipzig.de wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>before I start saying what I want to say, I'll briefly state my
>understanding of the concept 'logical form', as I -- as well as others
>of you who expressed as much in their posts -- have the feeling that
>since Ernst August Gutt's original post which started this discussion,
>quite different notions of logical form have been elaborated on.
>
>My understanding of logical form with respect to a linguistic
>utterance is that it is the semantic representation of that utterance,
>built up according to the Principle of Compositionality and as such
>not necessarily constituting a proposition. Derivatively, I also use
>the term (interchangeably with 'semantic form') to refer to the
>semantic representation (i.e. the lexical meaning) of individual
>linguistic expressions. (Having said this, I also agree with Billy
>Clark's suggestion that the term may also be used `...without any
>reference to linguistic meaning or utterance interpretation.')
>
>So much for clarification.

>(though this might turn out to not be relevant). Also, I'd like to
>bring in another aspect concerning the notion of underspecification of
>semantic meaning and the consequences this has for the concept of
>logical form.
>
>Beginning with my question, Billy Clark wrote
>
>> In another sense, 'logical form' has been used as a synonym (or near
>> synonym) > for 'semantic representation', i.e. as a representation
>> of the linguistically > encoded meanings of linguistic expressions.
>> I don't think it follows from Relevance Theory that we entertain
>> logical forms in this latter sense as part > of the interpretation
>> process, even though we might want to represent them as > part of
>> our theory to account for linguistic meaning and utterance
>> interpretation.
>
>I'm wondering whether the characterisation in RT of the process of
>ad-hoc concept formation does not actually presuppose that an
>expression's encoded meaning is entertained during processing (but
>maybe I have a faulty understanding of what `to entertain' *means* in
>this connection)?
>
>As I understand it, ad-hoc concept formation is a process that starts
>from an expression's encoded meaning and adjusts this with respect to
>the actual utterance context. So, the encoded meaning is accessed
>initially during processing, but subsequently worked on and
>adjusted/changed.
>
>And this brings me to my second point. Generally, I think that the way
>ad-hoc concept formation is characterised (referring to adjustment of
>encoded meaning) and the idea of the semantic meaning of an expression
>being no more than a pointer to conceptual structures from which the
>actual meaning of the expression in question is build (as proposed
>e.g. by Carston 2002), are in conflict (I should mention that this has
>also already been observed by N. Burton-Roberts in his (2005) paper
> [...]

-- K. M. Jaszczolt, Professor of Linguistics and Philosophy of Language,
Head of Department of Linguistics, MML, University of Cambridge, Sidgwick
Avenue, Cambridge CB3 9DA, and Newnham College, Cambridge CB3 9DA, United
Kingdom, tel. +44 1223 335744; http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/~kmj21

Representing Time: An Essay on Temporality as Modality. Available now
through all good bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at:
http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199214440