RT list: New member

From: Elena Albu <elena_albu84@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Oct 12 2010 - 09:50:28 BST

Dear all, I am writing this email to inform you that I am new to this list and to introduce myself. I am in my 2nd year of PhD and my dissertation is about the pragmatics of negative structures in political discourse. I approach these structures in the cognitive framework provided by Relevance Theory as I am interested in the way in which these negatives work within discourse. My thesis is two-fold: negatives as communicative strategies (their behavior in discourse) and negatives in argumentation. I would also like to ask you a question. At the moment I work on the argumentative uses of these negative structures and I would like to discuss them from a cognitive point of view. Actually I want to establish a connection between Pragma Dialectics and Relevance Theory. Can you recommend some bibliography on the cognitive part of argumentation apart from Steve Oswald’s studies, which I have already read. Thank you in advance! All the best, Elena Albu