Re: RT list: the 'forthright negotiator' principle

From: it's me nathan <klinedin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 17 2010 - 13:19:45 GMT

hi all,

Many thanks Deirdre for that reference. For those interested, there
is also interesting work by the law scholars Adam Kramer and Lord
Hoffman, on legal precedents in the UK (and their justification) for
considering context, norms of communication, and intentions in ruling
on the "meaning" of contracts and statutes. While these scholars are
aware of and appeal to theoretical pragmatics, including Relevance
theory, it seems to me that there are some very subtle theoretical
points that are missed, that are highly relevant to the practical
issues involved.

For fun, and to be provocative: have a look at the US Supreme Court
ruling discussed in the opening pages of Stephen Neale's paper 'On
Location'. The court's decision hinged on their assessment of what a
particular phrase could be 'reasonably and normally' understood to
mean. Not only is their assessment mistaken in my humble opinion, but
no theoretical or empirical support for it is offered. (Ironically
enough their decision uses the very phrase, twice, in such a way as
to contradict their own assessment: extra credit for spotting either).

regards,
Nathan