RT list: Donkey Sentences

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 16:33:25 GMT

In a message dated 1/15/2010 10:30:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Vladimir.Zegarac@beds.ac.uk writes:
Alessandro Capone's message was communicated clearly and Nick Allott's
reply was equally clear. What is the relevance (to members of the Relevance
List) of Speranza's clarification?
I think one way of ensuring that discussions on the list are not
inappropriately personal might be to take account of the list adiministrator's and
other list members' observations addressed to oneself rather than to other
list members.

---

Excuse me, but could you put _your_ contribution in symbols?! :)

Recall Grice as cited apocryphally in Strawson's obituary ("If you cannot
put it in symbols, it's not worth saying" (The Times Online).

It _seems_ to me that V. Zegarac's sentence corresponds to what Geach but
mainly Oxonian author G. E. M. Evans call a donkey sentence? (If he owns a
donkey, he beats it, or to use Hintikka's more convoluted example: "Speranza
and  Capone admired each other's gift to himself" -- Note that I took
Capone's  offense friendly. It would be otiose of me to flame the only other
frequent  correspondent on this distinguished list.

So let's reconsider Dr. Zegarac's reversion of the maxim,

(1) I think one way of ensuring that discussions on the list are not
inappropriately personal might be to take account of the list adiministrator's
and other list members' observations addressed to oneself rather than to
other  list members.

i.e.

(2) Dr. Zegarac thinks that one way of ensuring
that discussions on this list are not
inappropriately [for Dr. Zegarac] personal
might [but then again, might not] be
to take [into?] account [...] the
list administrator's [N. E. Allott, currently]
AND other list-members' [open class, right
now = 409. Recall Grice's discussion of
Austin's kindergarten: 'for all those whose
classes have no members"] observations
addressed to [and here comes the donkey?]

    oneself

rather than to other list members.
---- I find that pretty impossibly to symbolise, but surely I'm not
suggesting it's not worth going and trying and saying it!

Come on, Dr. Zegarac -- :) -- no offense meant, none taken!

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
    The Swimming-Pool Library
       for the Grice Club.

Ref. Speranza, PhD dissertation. [Recognised by Western Educational
Services, Inc.]