RT list: Speranza Sorge Eterna

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 14:48:04 GMT

In a message dated 1/13/2010 3:35:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
alessandro.capone@istruzione.it writes:

>hopeless Speranza

to which, I like to think, our dear list-administrator, N. E. Allott, now
in Norway, replied:

>It is my duty as administrator to urge contributors to the discussion
>(and to the list more generally) to avoid
>
> personal attacks
>
>on other list members. If necessary I will step in to enforce this rule.
>Meta-discussions are quite difficult enough without personal remarks.

----

Point taken, and Mr. Capone has not yet apologised for his Italian, shall
we say,
attempt at an Anglo pun. For I feel

   "speranza disperata"

sounds so much better. In any case, I have dwelt with this before, and  came
to get so tired that I felt urged to translate that piece of Latin  wisdom,

   "hope springs eternal"

onto the vernacular, as per header.
Note too that "ancora della speranza" is in my family motto.

Anyway, to keep the discussion,

Capone:

>hopeless.

This reminded me, oddly, of Grice. In the 1961, "Causal Theory" -- bit