RE: RT list: Did Peirce offer an inferential theory of communication (prior to RT)?

From: Billy Clark <B.Clark@mdx.ac.uk>
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 12:22:25 GMT

Hi Ernst,

I think that's a really interesting question. I can't remember any
detailed discussions of this, but I think I have read some suggestions
about it. I'd be a bit nervous about suggesting a root cause for a
particular communicative strategy, but I think there might be an element
of what you suggest. I'd suggest modifying it a bit, though, to 'look
how clever WE are' since it depends on the audience and communicator
being 'clever' enough to get it. It also reminds me of discussions of
irony where it's often pointed out that ironical utterances create a
sense of solidarity between communicator and addressee.

Best wishes,

Billy