Re: RT list: Did Peirce offer an inferential theory of communication (prior to RT)?

From: <ernst-august_gutt@sil.org>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 08:32:03 GMT

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for all helpful responses to this question. I have really
appreciated them.

Incidentally, another question I have been wondering about for some time is
whether in the Gricean framework there are criteria for determining the root
causes of violations of the maxims of quantity and relation (whether they
are, for example, due to communicators' attempts at self-aggrandizement:
"See how clever I am!").

Best wishes,

Ernst-August Gutt