RT list: "conversationally explicates"?

From: Dan Sperber <dan@sperber.com>
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 11:35:03 GMT

Alessandro Capone writes:

"I have a terminological difficulty - when I explain the process of
the explicature, I am tempted to use the term 'The speaker
conversationally implicates that p'.
I am not sure that we could replace this with 'The speaker conversationally
explicates that p' - but this seems to be a logical conclusion."

"Surely, in this context, "conversationally implicates" is wrong while
"explicates" is right. The only problem I would have with
"conversationallyexplicates" is the same I have in general with
"conversationally
implicates", and that is that "conversationally" is redundant, since, in RT
anyhow, there are no conventional implicatures or explicatures to which to
contrast conversational ones. If someone believes that there are, then
"conversationally explicate" should be fine.

Best, Dan