Re: RT list: Defending the Explicature

From: Andre Sytnyk <andre.sytnyk@gmail.com>
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 07:08:18 BST

I guess this is a typical 'ham sandwich' situation where the Greek letters
worn by fraternity (as well as sorority) members gave rise to the metonymy
'Greek' - 'someone who wears Greek letters on his/her t-shirt'. And the
'real' Greek students may want to be creative here and call their
associations something like 'Students Ellinos' or 'Greeks! not Geeks' to
separate themselves from the metonymic beer-drinking fraternities lest the
slogan 'Go Greeks - buy friends!' should apply also to them...

Best,
Andre