RE: RT list: Defending the Explicature

From: Hanno T. Beck <banneker@progress.org>
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 21:07:32 BST

I am reminded of my own days in graduate school, long ago, when I would
notice occasional articles in the campus newspaper about the "Greek Students
Association" and how "the Greek community is being blamed for the incident"
and so on -- invariably referring, not to people of Greek heritage at all,
but to male students associated with fraternities. One wonders how students
from Greece would feel if denied membership in the "Greek Students
Association", and then if they chose to form their own organization, what
should they call it?

Hanno Beck