RT list: New to the list

From: Steve Oswald <steve.oswald@unine.ch>
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 10:16:26 BST

Dear all,

I am a 2nd year PhD student under the supervision of Prof. Louis de
Saussure, at the University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland. My main area of
research is manipulative and argumentative discourse, from a
relevance-theoretic perspective.

As an undergrad, I have already worked on speeches by Juan Domingo and
Evita Perón, back in the 40’s and 50’s in Argentina. Right now I’m
continuing on the same track, trying to examine the pragmatic mechanisms
that lead people to be manipulated. My work is currently rather
theoretical, but I do not exclude the possibility of getting into
experimental pragmatics to see what happens ‘in real life’.

I’m also interested in general linguistics, semantics and pragmatics
more broadly, procedural pragmatics, reported speech and commitment,
argumentation studies and temporal expressions.

If anyone from the RT list shares the same interests as me, I’ll be glad
to correspond.

All the best,

Steve Oswald

--