The Windmilers website now has its own domain name. Please go to www.windmilers.org.uk/forthcom.htm. Please alter your bookmark if necessary. This old version of the page will not be updated after 20 November 1998.
Wait a few seconds and you will automatically be transferred.
Running events shown below in green are our own (including MABACs); the remainder are organized by other bodies. Further information is sometimes available in the BAF Diary. Non-running social events (all our own) are shown in red. RL = Surrey Road League. RC = County Championships. XC = cross-country
- NOVEMBER 1998
- 17-21 Tue-Sat: Wimbledon Light Opera, Kiss Me Kate, Secombe Theatre, Sutton. Contact Dianne (947 0401) or Cindy (947 7153)
- 21 Sat: Mens Surrey XC League, Croydon Airport (Holland/Dulwich Runners), 15.00
- 22 Sun: MABAC Puttenham (map), 11.00
- 22 Sun: Epsom 10, Epsom Downs, 10:00. Info: J Cock, 153 Westway, SW20 9LR
- 28 Sat: London Championship, Parliament Hill
- 28 Sat: Veterans AC 4.8 XC, Camp Road, Wimbledon Common, £1.50/£2, 15:00
- 28 Sat: Tilford XC Men's 8.5k and Women's 5.3k, 14:00
- 29 Sun: Luton Marathon
- DECEMBER 1998
- 5 Sat: Christmas Dinner Dance, Royal Oak, 90 Coombe Road, New Malden. 19.30 for 20.00. Tickets £21. Four-course dinner, dancing to a disco, visit from Father Christmas and the Fairy Godmother. SORRY - NOW SOLD OUT!
- 6 Sun: MABAC Leatherhead / Ashtead Common (map), + MABAC AGM at Downsend School after the run
- 12 Sat: Surrey County Championship, Coulsdon
- 13 Sun: Courtney's Xmas 10k, Chester Road, Regent's Park, 09:00
- 13 Sun: Hog's Back 9, Loseley House, Godalming, 09:30. Info: GGAC, PO Box 121, Guildford
- 20 Sun: Annual Ronhill - Isostar Surrey Classic 10km Road Race Series, Epsom, 10.00 (details)
- 27 Sun: MABAC Windsor Winter Wander, 10.30
- JANUARY 1999
- 3 Sun: Tadworth 10 and 5, Tattenham Corner, 10:30
- 9 Sat: Ladies Surrey XC League, Richmond Park, 15:00
- 10 Sun: MABAC Windsor Great Park, Blacknest Gate (map), 11:00
- 24 Sun: Mitcham 25k, Sutton Arena, 10:00. Entries (£4/£5): 6 Tyers House, Aldrington Road, SW16 1TJ
- 30 Sat: Southern Area Championship, probably Parliament Hill
Jonathan Wyatt (NZ) wins in Réunion
- FEBRUARY 1999
- 7 Sun: Ewell Winter 10k, Hook Arena, 10:00. Entries: 19 St Matthews Ave, Surbiton KT6 6JJ
- 20 Sat: Tilford XC Men's 8.5k and Women's 5.3k
- 27 Sat: Men's Surrey XC League, Epsom Downs, 15:00
- 27 Sat: Ladies' Surrey XC League, Lloyd Park, 12:30
- 28 Sun: Camberley Half Marathon
Madeline Dorney at Tweedsmuir. Photo: Douglas Barry, Irish Mountain Running Association
- MARCH 1999
- 14 Sun: Hastings Half Marathon, 10:30. Info: 219 Harley Shute Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex TN38 9JJ
- 14 Sun: Reading Half Marathon, 10:00
- 28 Sun: Kingston Breakfast Run, 16 miles (£9) or 8 miles (£8), Bentall Centre, Kingston upon Thames, time tba ("early start"). Info: 12 Southcote Avenue, Surbiton KT5 9JW; tel. 0181-399 3579, 0585 964 664, e-mail
- 28 Sun: Gatwick Half-Marathon. Start Perrywood Sports and Social Club,
Honeycrock Lane, Salfords, 10:30. Also fun run, 5.5 km, 10:40. Info: A Read, Rosemead, New House Lane,
Salfords, Surrey RH1 5RA (enclose sae), or by e-mail
Ercus Stewart on the Sugarloaf in Co. Wicklow. Photo: Douglas Barry, Irish Mountain Running Association
- APRIL 1999
- 18 Sun:
London Marathon, Greenwich.
The 1999 London Marathon will take place on Sunday 18 April 1999. Applications are now closed, though you might still be able to enter through your club or via a charity (try Get Kids Going!). Organized by The London Marathon Ltd., 0171-928 8844; 0171-620 4117. Intending entrants from outside the UK should telephone +44 161 703 8161, or write to Vince Regan, Flora London Marathon 1999, Sports Tours International, 91 Walkden Road, Manchester M28 5DQ, United Kingdom.
MABAC fixtures are held jointly with other running clubs in our area.
This is a series of eleven Sunday morning races throughout the year, particularly aimed at the fun runner. Points are gained by every Windmiler who completes the course. The clubs in the league take turns to act as host. These are very popular cross-country events, open to all members and guests, held in some beautiful parts of the Surrey countryside. As well as the senior race of just over 8 km / 5 miles they include joggers' and junior events of about 4 km / 2.5 miles. (The Windsor and Cranleigh races are different -- longer, and on roads.) Runners have been known to find a pub for a drink afterwards. To take part, either make your way directly to the venue (maps available on this website, or from committee members), or turn up at the Windmill car park at around 09.15 for directions, or to get a lift. Running numbers will be given out at the event itself.
See results of 1998 fixtures:
- Reebok Surrey Cross-Country League - We are in Division 4 of the League. Any number of runners can enter, but only the first 10 from each club in the men's and the first 5 in the women's will score. All club members are welcome to run. The races are about five miles (8 km), at 15.00 on certain Saturday afternoons. Contact team managers for further details. Share transport: meet at Raynes Park (opp. Durham Road), 13.30.
- Surrey Road League - Open to all club members, but only the first 3 men and first 3 women from each club will score. Contact team managers for details.
- National Cross-Country Championships - Teams have to be submitted in advance, and entries must go through your team manager.
- Men's team manager: Mike Banfi, 0181-675 6165 (home), 0171-465 3791 (work)
- Women's team manager: Pauline Hawkes, 0181-542 4652
These bouncing letters come from the Animation Factory - thanks!
...Visit other pages on the Windmilers website:
Check out where to run in southwest London
Go to our page of Windmilers contacts:
- members' home pages and e-mail addresses
- Windmilers kit
- services offered by members
If you're new to jogging/running, find out how to get started with Windmilers coach Wen Seear.
Check out our links to other running-related sites!
Windmilers front page
Page maintained by John Wells, 0181-542 0302. You can e-mail me
Last modified 1998 November 16