RT list: upcoming deadline for abstract submission

From: Agnieszka Piskorska <a.piskorska@uw.edu.pl>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2014 - 14:41:48 BST

Dear All,

I am writing to inform/remind everyone who may be interested that deadline for abstact submission to the Interpreting for Relevance conference is on June 15th. The conference is to be held in Warsaw, Poland, on September 29-30th 2014.

Below I paste Call for Papers with all the details. Should you have any questions, please contact me.

Regards,

Agnieszka Piskorska

The IfR conference will explore the theme of “Style and Stylistics”, from the perspective of Relevance Theory as well as other, related or competing approaches. We would like to encourage all those interested in linguistics, translation studies and literary analysis to contribute papers pertaining to problems of style, broadly conceived as a relationship between form and communicative effects.

We welcome submissions in these, and possibly other areas:

- the contribution of decoding and inference to stylistic effects;

- the interaction of inferential processes in achieving stylistic effects;

- the literal/non-literal continuum;

- humour and irony in the creation of style;

- routes of metaphor interpretation;

- developments in the study of metonymy and hyperbole;

- procedural meaning, cohesion and coherence;

- the interaction of style, genre, and relevance;

- social implications of stylistic choices;

- styles in translation;

- style and argumentation;

- the linguistic potential of languages to express stylistic effects;

- styles across cultural and intellectual traditions;

Presentation time is 20 minutes plus 10 minutes question time. Proposals for workshops, panel discussions and other sessions are welcome.

Plenary speakers

Billy Clark (Middlesex University, UK)

Alison Hall (University College London, UK and CSMN, University of Oslo, Norway)

Jadwiga Linde-Usiekniewicz (University of Warsaw, Poland)

Deirdre Wilson (University College London, UK and CSMN, University of Oslo, Norway)

Abstract submission

Abstracts, consisting of up to 500 words (including examples and references), should be sent to ifr@uw.edu.pl by 15 June 2014.

In the plain text part of your e-mail, please supply the following information:

- name, title/position

- title of the paper

- affiliation

- e-mail address

Conference fee

The conference fee is 130 EUR / 550 PLN per person. This covers conference materials, coffee breaks, lunches and a dinner reception on September 29th. The payment has to be made by 31 July 2014, otherwise the participant's paper will not be included in the conference programme.

 Registration

 1. Make payment of the conference fee (130 EUR / 550 PLN) by bank transfer no later than 31 July 2014 - see www.ifr.angli.uw.edu.pl for the bank account number and other details.

2. Send an e-mail to ifr@uw.edu.pl with a proof of payment attached. Attendants who will not be giving presentations (non-speaking participants) are kindly requested to supply the following information in the content of the e-mail:

- name, title/position

- affiliation

- e-mail address

More info on the conference, accommodation, publications, etc. at www.ifr.angli.uw.edu.pl