RT list: Ordinary Language Philosophy

From: David J Weber <david_weber@sil.org>
Date: Sun Nov 10 2013 - 16:36:59 GMT

Friends,

The topic of Melvyn Bragg's In Our Time last week was
Ordinary Language Philosophy. You could listen to it at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

I was surprised to learn how early on the dependence of
meaning on context was recognized, that Frege articulated it
and that it can be traced from Frege through Wittgenstein and
Austin.

I was also surprised that there was no mention of Grice nor of
Relevance Theory, and I'm wondering why that might be. Did
Grice distance himself from Ordinary Language Philosophy?

--David