RT list: William Downes info.

From: Bill Downes (LCS) <W.Downes@uea.ac.uk>
Date: Fri Jan 04 2013 - 10:33:21 GMT

Just to let everyone know that my book Language and Religion: A Journey into the Human Mind (CUP) is at last available in paperback at a more affordable £22.99. It is an attempt to use relevance theory to understand religious thought and language in a non-reductive way. For those who earlier expressed an interest, chapter 4 proposes that cognitive pragmatics can naturalize philosophical pragmatism (of a generally Peircean type) and this yields a new theory of authority.

There is a link to the book on my new website http://williamdownes.co.uk which also contains the recent Taiwan paper, the last part of which explores relevance and complexity theory, and proposes an account of relevance in terms of 'algorithmic complexity' - the subject of my recent research.

Happy new year to everybody, Bill