Re: RT list: Help needed

From: Anabella-Gloria Niculescu-Gorpin <anabellaniculescu@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 28 2012 - 09:43:43 BST

Dear Billy and dear all,

Thanks for your message - I thought of this too, initially but I still
don't see it this way. I mean, I would need an example :) to get it ... I
suppose.

I mean, if we go back to my example, once I utter It is raining and you hear
me and realise what I am saying, my communicative intention is fulfilled -
see below the definition.

So if you believe this or think it is probably true, than my informative
intention is also fulfilled. If you don't, it isn't.

I've realised something now.

Can an assumption be (mutually) manifest and not believe it? I think it
can - I mean, I know that people thought that the Earth was flat. That
people thought that the Earth was flat is an assumption that I know it is
true (I.e. people did think that). But then it can be broken down even
further and the assumption The earth is flat is again manifest to me but I
don't believe it. In this case because the I know that the reality is
different.

But in the past the assumption that the Earth was round was manifest to
some, and they did not believe it.

and also, the last part of the fragment I initially quoted does say that the
informative intention is fullfield if the audience believes it or considers
it probable.

In conclusion,

I think that the first part says that the communicative intention is
fulfilled, than you can have your informative intention mutually manifest
(it becomes mutually manifest to you and me that I intend to inform you
about the fact that it is raining) and then, if you come to believe me or
think that it it may rain than also the informative intention in fulfilled.

So it