RE: RT list: Non-sentential utterances, logical form, explicatures (e.g. in poetry)

From: <ernst-august_gutt@sil.org>
Date: Wed Feb 16 2011 - 18:17:19 GMT

Dear all,

Thank you very much for all contributions to this discussion and all the
work people have put into them - it has been very helpful and informative,
to me at least. Let me try to summarise my impression from this exchange -
for what it is worth:

If this brief exchange is anything to go by, with regard to 'logical form',
the current state of affairs in RT seems to be as follows:
a) There is no clear consensus as to what exactly a 'logical form' is -
whether the encoding of a concept by a verbal expression constitutes in
itself a logical form of that expression, or whether it does so only if it
has been further developed into some predicative expression.
b) There is no clear consensus as whether the concept of 'logical form'
represents an empirical phenomenon.
c) There is no clear consensus as to whether an adequate relevance-theoretic
account of verbal communication requires this concept.

Regarding the concept of 'explicature':
d) there is no consensus about the theoretical significance of this concept
and
e) there appears to be much less concern about its existence and function in
verbal communication (than about 'logical form').

My own provisional position would be roughly as follows: with some
simplification, all that is presumed by an ostensive communicator is to make
more manifest a set of assumptions {I} that she expects to be optimally
relevant to the audience. As far as I can see, the theory contains no
inherent constraint by which verbal stimuli need to do more than this - e.g.
that for verbal stimuli at least one of these assumptions ought to be the
development of some logical form of the verbal expression. On the other
hand, there is nothing that would - in principle - exclude the possibililty
that one or more of the assumptions in {I} are developments of some logical
form of the verbal expression used (unless it can, of course, be shown that
logical forms do not exist in the first place).

This would seem to take care of the following two examples:
1) Situation: Someone shows his badly damaged car to a friend. The friend
asks: "How did this happen?"
Utterance by the owner: "My brother - icy road ..."
2) Situation: Someone asks: "Wem hast du von diesem Brief erzählt?"
Utterance: "Meinen Eltern." [Whom did you tell of this letter? My parents.]

In case 1, the two expressions "my brother" and "icy road" make enough
assumptions available through the encyclopaedic entries for the audience to
construct a set of assumptions {I} that would meet the requirement of
optimal relevance. The respondent does not seem to encourage the audience to
look for or to build up specific 'logical forms' around the concepts encoded
that would then be enriched into propositional forms.

In case 2, by contrast, the fact that the respondent chose a case marked
phrase (hence the choice of German for this example), and furthermore
assuming that case is assigned here by grammatical structure, this would be
a strong incentive to the audience to build up a well-formed grammatical
structure of which this phrase would be a constituent, and so the specific
assumption THE SPEAKER TOLD HIS PARENTS ABOUT THE LETTER would be quite
strongly communicated. (In fact, if the response had not been appropriately
case marked, e.g. "Meine Eltern", it would have been felt unfelicitous.)
Whether this process necessitates the theoretical recognition of concepts
like 'logical form' and/or 'explicature' seems unclear at this time.

I think I can live with this situation, at least for the time being.

Best wishes,
Ernst-August

  _____