Re: RT list: Non-sentential utterances, logical form, explicatures (e.g. in poetry)

From: Chris Lucas <cl39@soas.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 14:53:13 GMT

Dear Ernst,

I think you will find some interesting answers to many of the very
important questions raised in your message provided by work over the
last ten years or so in the framework of Dynamic Syntax:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/research/groups/ds/

Recent work on dialogue and ellipsis in particular tackles head-on
most of the issues you raise.

It seems natural to me that different relevance theorists will have
different ideas of what constitutes a logical form, what is the nature
of the grammar that produces these, and to what extent (if any)
inferential processes play a role even before a logical form for an
utterance has been computed. For my money, the DS framework has the
most sensible, representationalist, answers to these questions of all
the syntactic/semantic formalisms currently on the market.

Best wishes,

Chris Lucas.

--
Dr Christopher Lucas