RT list: rhetoric and/or/of humour

From: Billy Clark <b.clark@mdx.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Nov 24 2010 - 19:23:11 GMT

Hi everybody,

A colleague of mine at Middlesex is preparing a paper on Francis Hardinge's novel Gullstruck Island. One thing she's interested in is the use of particular kinds of humour in contexts which are leading towards genocide. She asked me whether I knew of any references on the rhetoric of humour in general and in pre-genocide contexts in particular. I pointed her to the relevance online bibliography and the sections there on rhetoric and humour.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any other thoughts which I could pass on to her.

Thanks very much!

Billy