RT list: rules of the list

From: Nicholas Allott <nicholas.allott@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 17 2010 - 13:59:15 GMT

I have been gauging opinion from emails direct to me as well as to the
list. I think that there is a consensus in favour of Dan Sperber's
distinction between push and pull. There is also a consensus against
frequent repeated postings from any given list member, outside of
discussions.

To quote Deirdre's recent email, the list is for:

(a) brief announcements of forthcoming events/activities/publications
likely to interest many members of the list, and

(b) substantive comments/queries/discussions focusing mainly on
relevance theory and its applications.

Postings should not fall outside of these categories. Repeated
postings outside of these categories will be treated as abuse.

(If in doubt, feel free to email me offlist to check.)

A first infringment will bring a warning.
A second infringment will result in unsubscription.

A brief statement of other rules common to practically every mailing
list is probably in order:

• Avoid personal remarks about other list members.
• Do not go off-topic.
• Do not quote off-list replies or other private correspondence in
emails to the list without permission of the correspondent in question.
• Do not send emails with a blank subject line.
• When replying to a previous email on the list, leave the subject
line as it is, so that the discussion will be threaded correctly.

Anyone with any questions about any of this can email me offlist.

Thanks to all of you for bearing with us!

Best,
Nick

Nicholas Allott
Postdoctoral research fellow (and RT list admin)
CSMN
University of Oslo

n.e.allott@csmn.uio.no
nicholas.allott@gmail.com