RT list: Grice on "appropriateness"

From: <jlsperanza@aol.com>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 16:47:43 GMT

I wrote, in "Donkey sentences": "Dr. Zegarac thinks that one way of
ensuring that discussions on this list are not inappropriately [for Dr. Zegarac]
personal might [but then again, might not] be to take [into?] account [...]
the list administrator's [N. E. Allott, currently] AND other list-members'
[open class, right now = 409. Recall Grice's discussion of Austin's
kindergarten: 'for all those whose classes have no members"] observations
addressed to [and here comes the donkey?] oneself rather than to other list
members."

And while we are at 'inappropriate' I tried to retrieve D. Sperber's lovely
 post on the 'push and pull and the New Year wishes' but failed! It amused
me how he used 'inappropriate' I think twice; but mainly in the negative.
When charitably describing my posts as 'full' -- I forget the adjective,
must be archived -- he goes on to mention what the list should judge,
collectively as, 'not inappropriate'.

I always loved the adjective, 'appropriate', since it's all about ... er.
Grice. How I LOVED that Prolegomena to Logic and Conversation and what he
calls the A- i.e. appropriateness- philosophers, like hisself (sic). Indeed,
I loved that lecture so much that I'm willing to know if his lectures
delivered as

     The William James Memorial (Bi-Annual) Lectures

were actually entitled, as per a flyer or something, as "Logic and
Conversation"; for it seems that only lecture ii fits that label. Indeed, I do
KNOW the individual lectures were NOT originally 'titled'. So perhaps we could
do better than Grice and do start quoting the things as "The William James
Memorial Lectures", rather than by the rather confusing, "Logic and
Conversation". But more on this, later, I hope.

J. L. Speranza
   for the Grice Club